Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
I am looking to purchase a PS4. I only want one for a few games. I've been looking around at certain local deals here (Australia). Thest I have found is a slim with 2 controllers for $349.

What is your opinions on this? Do any of you have any advice for me regarding the purchase fo a PS4? I only ask this as many of you know I am a Nintendo fan and have never bought a Playstation before. The PS4 in my mind looks like the first PS good enough for me (soemone who is noy a PS fan overall) to be worth getting.

So if you have any advice feel free to share it here. I'd be very grateful.

PS. I've done the research and the sticky topic (links contained within) don't answer the question.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
I am looking to purchase a PS4. I only want one for a few games. I've been looking around at certain local deals here (Australia). Thest I have found is a slim with 2 controllers for $349.

What is your opinions on this? Do any of you have any advice for me regarding the purchase fo a PS4? I only ask this as many of you know I am a Nintendo fan and have never bought a Playstation before. The PS4 in my mind looks like the first PS good enough for me (soemone who is noy a PS fan overall) to be worth getting.

PS. I've done the research and the sticky topic (links contained within) don't answer the question.

For what sort of games?

Justin_Kemp

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2017
NYC
A few specific PS4 exclusives I have already purchased. That's the only reason I'm looking into getting the console.

Well, i have the fat model and is much cheaper than the slim. I bough it last year and it seems good until now. You probably have to wait for 1TB version because the 500 one would be much cheaper. BTW, i am having the switch and its much better than PS4 since i could bring and play it anywhere.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
A few specific PS4 exclusives I have already purchased. That's the only reason I'm looking into getting the console.

It's fine as far as a console go. Decent interface, loads of variety in terms of games experiences and plenty of power. Whether or not it'll be worth it to you, I can't say. There aren't a great many 'classic Nintendo' sort of experiences to be had. Except Yooka-Laylee perhaps, but I definitely can't recommend that car crash; the Crash trilogy is coming out in June if you're looking for platforming. If it's worth it to you to pay $350 for those few console exclusives, then it's a good system. I just feel badly about selling anyone on hardware just for a few games.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Well, i have the fat model and is much cheaper than the slim. I bough it last year and it seems good until now. You probably have to wait for 1TB version because the 500 one would be much cheaper. BTW, i am having the switch and its much better than PS4 since i could bring and play it anywhere.
I do already own a Switch. I bought that day 1. I don't play that off TV as much as I did the WiiU, but the option is there.
I waited like almost 2 years for the WiiU to have the games I wanted before I purchased that. I never originally wanted a PS4 but when some games I wanted came out for the PS4 I thought when on sale I'll just get a slim as that'll be one of the cheaper options and I like the slim size and lower power draw it has.

I could wait for the 500GB after the 1TB comes out but I'm not bothered I'll probably just look for a good 500GB deal.

It's fine as far as a console go. Decent interface, loads of variety in terms of games experiences and plenty of power. Whether or not it'll be worth it to you, I can't say. There aren't a great many 'classic Nintendo' sort of experiences to be had. Except Yooka-Laylee perhaps, but I definitely can't recommend that car crash; the Crash trilogy is coming out in June if you're looking for platforming. If it's worth it to you to pay $350 for those few console exclusives, then it's a good system. I just feel badly about selling anyone on hardware just for a few games.
The games I have so far for the PS4, none of them are Nintendo style experiences. Also I have Yooka-Laylee backed for the Switch and am waiting for that to release to play the game. I get that you're not trying to sell me the console on just a few exclusives. But that's totally ok. That's why I waited for the hardware deals to spring up. I am totally ok buying the console for a few exclusives.

It is a good system. The best Playstation sustem of the 4 by a long shot. Most of the previous PS consoles and the early PS4 issues have been dealt with so I am ok to purchase the console.

The "plenty of power" does not bother me. I don't buy into the need more power for a better gaming experience. As long as the games are good and run fine, then I am satisfied.

So now I am hinting around for a good deal on a slim console and when I find one I'll get it.

Do you think the Slim with 2 controllers for $349 here ($259US based on our garbage exchange rates and higher Aus prices for everything gaming) is a good deal?

Only shared the US convertion prices so you get a rough idea. I'm paying the $349 if I choose this deal.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
The games I have so far for the PS4, none of them are Nintendo style experiences. Also I have Yooka-Laylee backed for the Switch and am waiting for that to release to play the game. I get that you're not trying to sell me the console on just a few exclusives. But that's totally ok. That's why I waited for the hardware deals to spring up. I am totally ok buying the console for a few exclusives.

It is a good system. The best Playstation sustem of the 4 by a long shot. Most of the previous PS consoles and the early PS4 issues have been dealt with so I am ok to purchase the console.

The "plenty of power" does not bother me. I don't buy into the need more power for a better gaming experience. As long as the games are good and run fine, then I am satisfied.

So now I am hinting around for a good deal on a slim console and when I find one I'll get it.

Do you think the Slim with 2 controllers for $349 here ($259US based on our garbage exchange rates and higher Aus prices for everything gaming) is a good deal?

Only shared the US convertion prices so you get a rough idea. I'm paying the $349 if I choose this deal.

US$250/AUS$349 sounds about average for what you're getting; in the US, it's $249 for a slim with a pack-in game and a single controller, so that's roughly equivalent in terms of expenditure.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
US$250/AUS$349 sounds about average for what you're getting; in the US, it's $249 for a slim with a pack-in game and a single controller, so that's roughly equivalent in terms of expenditure.
True but Australians most of the time have to pay more. To get an equivelant expenditure we have to have a sale here. Our $350 sale is equivelant to your $250 not on sale. Sucks to be Australian I know. I am using Amazon for the games because it's cheaper to get them overseas and because the PS4 is region free. However consoles are more tricky to import, most better to just get one locally and pay a touch more for it.
[doublepost=1494854258][/doublepost]So a PS4 slim (with 2 controllers) for $350 Aus (259 US) that's the deal now. SHould I get it or could I get a better deal if I hold out?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
True but Australians most of the time have to pay more. To get an equivelant expenditure we have to have a sale here. Our $350 sale is equivelant to your $250 not on sale. Sucks to be Australian I know. I am using Amazon for the games because it's cheaper to get them overseas and because the PS4 is region free. However consoles are more tricky to import, most better to just get one locally and pay a touch more for it.
[doublepost=1494854258][/doublepost]So a PS4 slim (with 2 controllers) for $350 Aus (259 US) that's the deal now. SHould I get it or could I get a better deal if I hold out?

Sounds like a good deal. Check with your local games stores too as often they have bundle options with a game of your choice or even Gamestop who do great second hand units with a choice or two of pre-owned titles at a good price. It's going to be a case of check locally and check online. If all the prices are much the same then you can at least buy assured your not overpaying.

Reactions: the8thark

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Sounds like a good deal. Check with your local games stores too as often they have bundle options with a game of your choice or even Gamestop who do great second hand units with a choice or two of pre-owned titles at a good price. It's going to be a case of check locally and check online. If all the prices are much the same then you can at least buy assured your not overpaying.
Gamestop is EB Games here. Same thing. And yes I will have looked around at the refurbished units. Their prices are not much better than this sale. I've checked online and at my local store already. Based on all of this, I'm not really over paying. I just wanted to see if I could get it for even cheaper. But that's seems not to be possible.

Also I'm not that interested in bundles as none of them have games I am interested in.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Also I'm not that interested in bundles as none of them have games I am interested in.

Sadly that's often the catch, but if you could get a game even one you don't particularly want. You can always trade that game directly back in and put the credit towards one you do. :)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Sadly that's often the catch, but if you could get a game even one you don't particularly want. You can always trade that game directly back in and put the credit towards one you do. :)
I asked that and the trade in credit is not worth it. It's cheaper to but the console only option and a game outright.

And thanks for your advice.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro

I don't really feel qualified to suggest when you should buy it. Ostensibly, one could expect an equal or better deal at Christmas but I don't know the commercial habits of Oz or the Zed well enough to say that with any authority. If you can expect that and you aren't chomping at the bit to play those exclusives, I don't see a reason not to wait the six months and possibly get a better deal, and an even larger library.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
I don't really feel qualified to suggest when you should buy it. Ostensibly, one could expect an equal or better deal at Christmas but I don't know the commercial habits of Oz or the Zed well enough to say that with any authority. If you can expect that and you aren't chomping at the bit to play those exclusives, I don't see a reason not to wait the six months and possibly get a better deal, and an even larger library.
This is already a sale here, the mid year sale. Sure the Boxing day sales are bigger but I doubt I'll get a better deal.
Our Boxing day (26th December) is equivelant to the US Black Friday it terms of sales.

Thanks to your all advice I've decided I'll get one. I just need to decide if I need that second controller. If not I can trade it in for $30 off the console. And need to decide if I want 500GB or 1TB.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
I finally got off the fence and purchased this.
I paid $314 (233 US based on current conversion rates for this).
Used my being a level 4 member to trade in the 2nd controller to knock $35 off the price to get it down to $314. It's not like I'll need a 2nd controller anytime soon.
And if I need more than 500GB one day I can upgrade, the saves are in the cloud anyway so they are not lost if I swap out the HDD. It's much easier to upgrade than the launch PS4.
I actually don't like the launch PS4. The shape and size, as well as the power draw of it are all negatives for me. But the slim fixes most of these things, so I am happy.
Thank you everyone for the advice.
The first non-Nintendo console I have ever bought.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

4BUT9JI.jpg

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I finally got off the fence and purchased this.
I paid $314 (233 US based on current conversion rates for this).
Used my being a level 4 member to trade in the 2nd controller to knock $35 off the price to get it down to $314. It's not like I'll need a 2nd controller anytime soon.
And if I need more than 500GB one day I can upgrade, the saves are in the cloud anyway so they are not lost if I swap out the HDD. It's much easier to upgrade than the launch PS4.
I actually don't like the launch PS4. The shape and size, as well as the power draw of it are all negatives for me. But the slim fixes most of these things, so I am happy.
Thank you everyone for the advice.
The first non-Nintendo console I have ever bought.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

4BUT9JI.jpg

Yes, that white system looks pretty nice.

Here in the US, it was available only at Walmart bundled with COD: Infinite Warfare.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
Congrats on getting the PS4!
Good choice on the slim as I have the fat version and it sounds like a jet engine, hopefully the slim fixed that ventilation problem :)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Congrats on getting the PS4!
Good choice on the slim as I have the fat version and it sounds like a jet engine, hopefully the slim fixed that ventilation problem :)
I have read that if you get the launch PS4 cleaned (all the huge amounts of dust inside it) removed it will be somwehat quieter. The slim however is also somewhat quieter (according to Digital Foundary). There is still a noice but it's not as loud as the launch PS4 is. A certain improvement there.

Thank you very much.
The only downside to the slim is the audio out port is removed. So all the audio out is done through the HDMI cable. Since that does not affect me I was happy to get the slim.

Yes, that white system looks pretty nice.

Here in the US, it was available only at Walmart bundled with COD: Infinite Warfare.
That's a shame, as you can't trade in the COD for $$ of the console price.
I wanted a 1TB white but it seems that does not exist at the moment so I went the 500GB route and the price (with extra controller trade in) was quite acceptable. What I think the console is worth.

The slim 500GB on it's own is selling here retail for $439 in Aus dollars. So Me paying $314 with the sale and controller trade in was quite the good deal I thought. It's just a shame that the 1TB slim is only in black.

Never mind I am quite happy with the purchase and now need to look for some good games for it that I will like.

Thanks all.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012

I bought the PS4 because of the Uncharted series, and did the same for the Vita. I personally have no regrets as I enjoyed that game that much. Add in Horizon Zero Dawn, and it is hard not to recommend the system. BTW...even the original PS4 is very small if you can find a deal on one.

The only issue you may have is with the Nintendo Switch the "A" button is typically the action/select button, and the "B" button is the back/previous button. On the PS4 they are switched. In other words the lowest button is your action button and the right button is your back button. Your mind will adjust even when going back and forth after some time. I have both and no regrets.

BTW...I have the Switch, Xbox One, and PS4. I would say the PS4 is my favorite, followed by the Switch, and the Xbox in last, but they are all great.

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
UK
The cycle of ps

Ps released - big, fat, loud fan noise most of the time (really loud on PS4 vs PS3)
2-3 years later - ps slim released - smaller, bit cheaper in looks and in cost but makes less noise and saves you a bit on electricity. Also by this time lots of games out with discounts too.
End of cycle 5-8 years - super slim, even smaller and cheaper

So morale of this story, wait 2-3 years for the slim model.

Except this year we had the Pro which is just to extend the gen a bit because PS4 wasn't a huge leap forward - a .5 upgrade from ps3

Must haves for me are

The last of us remastered
Uncharted collection
Wipeout omega
Rocket league
Wolfenstien new order / blood

Antonio94

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2017
England
Not sure which genres you'd like to play. I mostly play RPG so I can only recommend them:
1) Persona 5 - This one is JRPG, it has really slow start but the story and tension gets better and better. I'm really absorbed into it and I dare say this one is among the best JRPG I've ever played.
2) Bloodborne - It's from Fromsoftware who makes Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. The game looks similar to the other two at first glance but it's totally different in gameplay and story. If you don't mind tension and try-hard gaming then I think it's a good recommendation.
3) Nier Automata - To be frank, I haven't played this one. I've only heard about the review and it was rated highly. But it's quite curious to see such a high rated game doesn't have much players base. Still I would like to suggest it and probably I will try it some day too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.