Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afavreau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Quebec, Qc
Hi,

I'm looking for the fastest external drive possible. It's for a sound library.
I record music and play keyboards Live, so I need something that responds fast.

I have a MacBook Pro 15" 2018 with Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 Gen2.

Thanks for your help

afavreau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Quebec, Qc
Yes. I'm looking into the Orico and Acasis NVMe PCIe 3.0 enclosures with an NVMe PCIe 4.0 drive of some kind with 2 or 4TB.

I also contacted Macsales.com about their Envoy Pro SX, but they tell me an Intel MacBook 2018 is not going to benefit from PCIe 3.0. It's actually going to make it slower. I think they mean the enclosure. Maybe not the Drive.

dawnlight

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2023
Yes. I'm looking into the Orico and Acasis NVMe PCIe 3.0 enclosures with an NVMe PCIe 4.0 drive of some kind with 2 or 4TB.

I also contacted Macsales.com about their Envoy Pro SX, but they tell me an Intel MacBook 2018 is not going to benefit from PCIe 3.0. It's actually going to make it slower. I think they mean the enclosure. Maybe not the Drive.
I think they misspoke. Your Mac is Thunderbolt 3, which is PCIe 3.0. A 4.0 drive won't make much of a speed difference in this case (except for potentially better sustained speeds). You're going to have the same max speed if you are using a 3.0 or 4.0 drive.

SX would be a great enclosure for a 2018 machine.

afavreau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Quebec, Qc
Sorry, you're right. I meant they said: "I contacted Macsales.com about their Envoy Pro SX, but they tell me an Intel MacBook 2018 is not going to benefit from PCIe 4.0." Not 3.0.

But they were saying if you use PCIe 4.0, your results will be worse than 3.0 since I have an Intel MacBook Pro 2018.

From what I understand, it's more like you say. It's just that it's not worth the extra cost, but your writing speed might be a little faster.

I think I'll go with the Acasis enclosure after all. It also has USB 4 compatibility at a good price.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.