Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kinless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
So I finally finished migrating to a newer Mac Pro 5,1 (from a failing 3,1) and at the same time transitioned from El Capitan (10.11) to High Sierra (10.13). Not sure why I never downloaded the iWork apps (Pages/Numbers/Keynote) from the App Store before, but figured I might as well now.

And of course they're now only for 10.14 or higher. *sigh* Why can't they just provide us the latest version of what will work on High Sierra, as I've seen with other downloaded apps? I don't have the option of upgrading to Mojave or Catalina at this time, so that's not a solution at the moment.

At first I was stuck with the older iWork '09 set, but I was graciously provided newer versions:

Keynote 8.0.1
Numbers 5.0.1 (upgraded to 6.0)
Pages 7.1 (COMPLETE - upgraded to 8.1)

According to the wikis the latest versions for High Sierra are Pages 8.1, Numbers 6.1, and Keynote 9.1.

UPDATE 02.14.2020: I was able to acquire Pages 8.1 which is the latest version supported by High Sierra. I also found Numbers 6.0, better than what I had but still on the lookout for 6.1. Still searching for Keynote 9.1 so no upgrade progress there. If anyone has Numbers 6.1 or Keynote 9.1 for High Sierra and you're willing to share, please let me know. I would be forever obliged.

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Have you tried the Mojave OS? Versions of iWork apps that work in Mojave are available in the App store.

Lou

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
You could download the last compatible versions of you had them purchased already. Doesn't work with all apps, but with iWork it sure will. The problem is you need to tie them with your Apple ID so that the commercial framework could track and register it. If you have them installed on High Sierra and when you launch MAS and go to the "Purchased" section do you see them on the list? The latest compatible with High Sierra is the x.1 iteration.

Last edited:

kinless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
You could download the last compatible versions of you had them purchased already. Doesn't work with all apps, but with iWork it sure will. The problem is you need to tie them with your Apple ID so that the commercial framework could track and register it. If you installed them on High Sierra and launch MAS--> Purchased do you see them on the list? The latest compatible with High Sierra are the x.1 iteration.

That's the issue, I never purchased them prior since I was content with the iWork '09 versions on El Capitan. Now that this machine's on High Sierra, I would like to purchase them but it won't let me since they're no longer compatible. Even after acquiring those copies from my friend and putting them in the Applications folder, nothing shows up in the Mac Apple Store.

What I'd have to do is upgrade my MacBook Pro to Mojave or Catalina (something I'll be doing very soon) and then purchase the apps on there. Hopefully that triggers the proper registration so I can then download the proper versions to the High Sierra computer. Sounds like that may be the only genuine avenue to take.

kinless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
You could download the last compatible versions of you had them purchased already. Doesn't work with all apps, but with iWork it sure will. The problem is you need to tie them with your Apple ID so that the commercial framework could track and register it. If you installed them on High Sierra and launch MAS--> Purchased do you see them on the list? The latest compatible with High Sierra are the x.1 iteration.

Unfortunately that doesn't look like it works with the iWork apps. I upgraded my laptop to Mojave and "activated" the purchase of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote there, so they're now associated with my Apple ID. Then I went back to my desktop machine with High Sierra (where those apps now show up in the Purchased list) and attempted to "Update" but there's still an error message saying it needs 10.14 or higher. Ugh!

Funny thing is, I had to completely remove the older versions acquired from my friend, because when the Mac App Store asked me to login first, it had that person's Apple ID in the field and was greyed out so it couldn't be changed. (Looks like they really do tie each downloaded app to an Apple ID!) Only when I deleted those apps did it allow me to sign in with my own Apple ID, but of course it won't download the latest versions supported with High Sierra, so that's a dead end.

So it looks like I'm still stuck with those older versions. Not the end of the world and I don't use them that much where it's not a big deal, but man it drives my OCD crazy that I can't acquire the latest iWork versions supported by High Sierra. Freakin' Apple...

Last edited:

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
I don't quite understand the whole premise of being able to download compatible software depending on a macOS version. This is not fully rationalized on their part: for ex., I used a "hack" (nothing serious really), to trick App Store into letting me download iBook Author for Lion a couple of years ago by spoofing the OS to make it appear Yosemite or Sierra to App Store, achieved by changing a specific line in a specific system plist file. I installed iBook Author but turned out it was incompatible. Later when I had High Sierra and Mavericks, I successfully installed corresponding versions on HS and Mavericks however App Store refused me a compatible version for Lion.

It looks like they store versions, not for every OS which makes an impression of a purely deliberate decision. As long as they see it fit to let users get their apps for a range of macOSes they deem not obsolete enough they allow downloads. Maybe they abide by some timeframe of revoking older software or it's tied with certificate expiration, only God knows, there can be plenty of factors in play. Even so, that's very convoluted, illogical, and, in fact, anti-consumer: there're lots of reasons why a person might need an older version. Now, consider this silly and pathetic reality in which they're still selling the Snow Leopard DVD and Lion install thumb drives on their site: they make it available for the money. How cringe.

If it's 3rd party dev then they may as well take earlier releases down. Also, it seems that Apple Development guidelines directly prohibit submitting software built using an old code base. This is a cornerstone, however, as it often happens, they exempt themselves from their own rules by selling Snow Leopard copies.

Last edited:

Eweie

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2013
I know this thread is old but I feel it's important to upload these apps somewhere for people who need them. I was looking into this because I'm selling an old 2012 Mac Pro with a GPU that only supports up to high Sierra and I wanted to load it with these apps since I know you can't download them from the App Store without having previously downloaded them for high Sierra.

I first thought that once downloaded they wouldn't launch or ask for an the iCloud logging associated the account they were downloaded from if you signed out from the App Store but they actually dont and they work just fine.
so if anyone is interested let me know if you need these apps.

I can share the lasts versions compatible with high Sierra of:
pages
numbers
keynote
imovie
garageband

Reactions: Rustam

kinless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
pages
numbers
keynote
imovie
garageband
Thank you for the offering! I know myself and several others who have PM'ed me would be interested. I could still use Keynote 9.1 and Numbers 6.1 if those are the versions you have for High Sierra. That would be awesome to share.

I also happened to find out that the copies of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote that I have are the US English localization only, not the multi-language version. If your copy of Pages 8.1 has the complete localization set then I would also love a copy of such.

You can either setup a hightail sharing link, or send me a PM and we can share that way. Thanks again for coming to the rescue of High Sierra users the world over!

sofiagonzalezpliego

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2022
I know this thread is old but I feel it's important to upload these apps somewhere for people who need them. I was looking into this because I'm selling an old 2012 Mac Pro with a GPU that only supports up to high Sierra and I wanted to load it with these apps since I know you can't download them from the App Store without having previously downloaded them for high Sierra.

I first thought that once downloaded they wouldn't launch or ask for an the iCloud logging associated the account they were downloaded from if you signed out from the App Store but they actually dont and they work just fine.

pages
numbers
keynote
imovie
garageband
Thank you for the offering! I know myself and several others who have PM'ed me would be interested. I could still use Keynote 9.1 and Numbers 6.1 if those are the versions you have for High Sierra. That would be awesome to share.

I also happened to find out that the copies of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote that I have are the US English localization only, not the multi-language version. If your copy of Pages 8.1 has the complete localization set then I would also love a copy of such.

You can either setup a hightail sharing link, or send me a PM and we can share that way. Thanks again for coming to the rescue of High Sierra users the world over!
Hi Eweie and kindless

I would also be interested in those High Sierra compatible Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Imovie and Garageband versions if any of you guys could PM me. Thank you a lot!

No_Dust

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2022

pages
numbers
keynote
imovie
garageband
I would also be interested in those High Sierra compatible Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Imovie and Garageband versions if any of you guys could PM me. Really appreciate it! None of the fixes stated online seem to work for me. This is crazy my mac is working like brand new but is useless without these apps

BigCricket

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2023

pages
numbers
keynote
imovie
garageband
I found this topic by way of a Google search and have NOT been able to find the High Sierra versions of Pages and the others. I have it running on my newer machine, but when I try to update the 5.6.1 version via the app store, I get a cycle of "we can download the latest version for your OS" type of message and nothing. Just loops through that.

So I would also really appreciate it if you could share. Thanks :)

thomasallan

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2023
I'd like to get a copy of these also, as have had no luck with other versions and updates i've tried with the iWork09 Trial. I get the message "this update can't complete as it's refunded or linked to another user" or something similar to that. The apps work, but i'm not able to use app store to complete the update process to pages 8.1. The version of iwork trial i got was from a torrent site.

kinless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
I finally moved on to 10.14 this year after purchasing a NAS which needed Mojave minimum to run its local apps.

However, @Cubytus was nice enough to give me a copy of his 10.13 iLife apps which are the latest and multilingual. I believe the apps are tied to his account so I didn't want to just share them willy-nilly. I'm sure if you reach out to Cubytus he may send to you.

khmiller

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2022
lexington, ky

pages
numbers
keynote
imovie
garageband
i'm in the same boat as OP and it seems, you as well. 2010 mac mini 4,1. i'm basically a Windows user occassionally dabbling in MacOS after getting a mac mini 2009 for each of my kids way back. my mini i bought used off CraigsList. time on my hands now. challenged myself to switch out the OEM 5400rpm 320GB HDD to an SSD and clean install 10.13 Hi Sierra. It shipped w Snow Leopard and i think i got it w Lion/Mtn Lion already on it. I managed to finagle Mavericks and then El Capitan on it. all of these were in-place OS updates using discs / USB routes as App Store direct download-install routes now longer exist. Mini is blazing fast now but maxed out at Hi Si. I even managed to get my old retail license M$ Office 2011 installed and activated via Phone - process went slowly but oddly well - I was sent a 'plist" file to paste into Preferences from M$ support tech who really knew her stuff.

No trace of iWork components in App store when i signed in. So I found an original iWorks v9.0.1 DVD that came with one of the '09 minis (also bought second hand) and it installed ok. I can find Pages/Numbers/Keynote in my purchased apps for iPad/iPhone via iOS App store but they do not show up in the onboard MacOS App store until "incompatible updates" option is opened to reveal them - but obviously it won't let me download these newer versions. I did actually find a link in apple support forum for an iWork v9.3 update that seems to have installed successfully. I think the problem continues to be that even though the App store can see that I have iWork modules installed (as evidenced by the fact that they show up in the incompatible list) they are tied by the installation DVD to a different user's account - apparently the previous owner of the mini: so i get an error refusing to download bc my account has never "purchased" iWorks. I know there will be zero updates for any of these ever again so it doesn't matter if i can ever get them associated with my apple account even if i can get them updated.

so do you think it's doable if you send me the last 10.13-compatible Pg/Nu/Kn updates? i think they are 8.1/6.1/9/1. I am leery of attempting any download from any software sharing site. working w MacOS is like still a waking dream for such a long-term Windows user...

any help appreciated,
km

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
so do you think it's doable if you send me the last 10.13-compatible Pg/Nu/Kn updates? i think they are 8.1/6.1/9/1. I am leery of attempting any download from any software sharing site. working w MacOS is like still a waking dream for such a long-term Windows user...
Are you looking for just the updates or the full .app files? I have the .app files if you want them.

khmiller

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2022
lexington, ky
Wow that was quick! Thank you!!

Idk exactly what I need. Like I said, I’m still quite inexperienced w MacOS. I have iWork 9.0.1 installed then the 9.3 update. I still don’t have a good feel for MacOS apps/programs. I’m guessing the “full .app” files might mean I need to uninstall everything I try them? I’m guessing they are complete installation files? So either way - complete clean reinstall or updates. I’m hoping that makes sense and you can tell me.

High Sierra seems kind of a beta OS watershed between Old Mac and New Mac. My “Switching to the Mac” guide isn’t always that helpful.

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
Idk exactly what I need. Like I said, I’m still quite inexperienced w MacOS. I have iWork 9.0.1 installed then the 9.3 update. I still don’t have a good feel for MacOS apps/programs. I’m guessing the “full .app” files might mean I need to uninstall everything I try them? I’m guessing they are complete installation files? So either way - complete clean reinstall or updates. I’m hoping that makes sense and you can tell me.

High Sierra seems kind of a beta OS watershed between Old Mac and New Mac. My “Switching to the Mac” guide isn’t always that helpful.
.app files contain the whole application. Unlike in Windows, apps on a Mac are (in most cases) fully contained within a single file, rather than having a bunch of extra DLLs and registry entries spread throughout the system. The upsides of this are that apps can be copied between machines without any hassle, and as long as the apps don't carry the exact same name or are in different folder, you can have multiple versions of apps on the system at the same time.

In your case, you will not need to uninstall iWork 09, rather you can keep it in a folder inside the Applications folder (it should be like this by default), and have the "new" iWork apps in the top level Applications folder.

For example, the file structure would look like this:
10.13 Pages: Macintosh HD/Applications/Pages.app
Pages '09: Macintosh HD/Applications/iWork '09/Pages.app

If you've got any questions about using a Mac, feel free to message me.

jim301

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2023
Prescott, AZ
I'd like to get a copy of these as well. I have a "legal" copy of iWork '09 (upgraded to 9.3) but since I got it back in the pre App Store days Apple will not update it to versions compatible with High Sierra. As I understand it the latest versions that work with HS are: Pages 8.1, Numbers 6.1, and Keynote 9.1.
Thank you

Rustam

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2023

pages
numbers
keynote
imovie
garageband
Hi
I read your post about the HighSierra version of Pages, Numbers, Keynote.
May I ask you to send me .app versions of
Pages 8.1,
Numbers 6.1
Keynote 9.1?

I have old notebook...and unfortunatle now I can't bye the new one. :-(

I will be very grateful to you.
Thank you in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.