Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winmorgan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Hi...

I've just migrated most of my work space to Mac from Windows 7, although I'm very familiar with Mac (been running Windows on a MBP via Fusion for years). I'm sort of desperately looking for a visual reminders/alarms app to run on the Mac. I've tried Reminders and the Calendar and Notification Center, but can't find what I'm looking for. I'm used to something called Chameleon Clock in Windows which allows you to set a reminder which at a set time puts up a small dialogue with the text of the reminder, a colored background, ability to snooze, play a sound, etc. Alerts can be set to run every day, hourly, once, annually, monthly, etc. I haven't been able to find anything that works like this for the Mac. I've so far tried Due, 2DO, and Calenderique, but none of these have the capability I'm talking about. I specifically want a discrete, single reminder to pop up, not a list of things to do that day, or a whole calendar of things to do. I'd be very grateful for any recommendations. Thanks.

supermariofan25

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Off the top of my head I can't recommend any as I have never need to use such a tool, If you are felling adventurous then try using Automator to make your own app using scripts and whatnot. Automator comes bundled with all macs and with a little bit of learning and trial and error could possibly do exactly what you want it to do and then turns it into a service or a .app Application that you can set to run on start up. It is very flexible and fairly easy to use while also having the ability to be quite complex as well. Just play around a bit and see what you can find.

winmorgan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Off the top of my head I can't recommend any as I have never need to use such a tool, If you are felling adventurous then try using Automator to make your own app using scripts and whatnot. Automator comes bundled with all macs and with a little bit of learning and trial and error could possibly do exactly what you want it to do and then turns it into a service or a .app Application that you can set to run on start up. It is very flexible and fairly easy to use while also having the ability to be quite complex as well. Just play around a bit and see what you can find.

Hi, and thanks for your reply....I think that may be more than I can handle, but once I get out from under a bunch of pressing commitments, maybe I'll give it a go and see what happens. In any case, thanks so much for the suggestion!
[doublepost=1472704714][/doublepost]
Maybe you would like the shareware application Fantastical.

Hi there...thanks for your suggestion. I've looked at Fantastical but, if I'm seeing the screenshots right, it looks like one has to pull up a whole calendar to see tasks, reminders, etc. What I'm looking for/hoping to find would be more like the app I mentioned, Chameleon Clock (Windows only). I'm attaching a screenshot of what a single reminder from Chameleon Clock looks like. It's such a really great app I've been really surprised there's nothing like it for Mac. Please let me know if I'm wrong about Fantastical, but it looked to me like 2DO, in that it creates long lists, but no single reminders. Thanks again...

PS: As you can see from the Cham Clock screenshot, one can snooze the alert, or use the drop down menu next to Close, and simply edit the reminder (change the date, time, frequency, text, etc.) This looks huge the way it's pasted in this reply but, in actuality the size of the reminder is about 2 x 3 inches.
CHAMELEON CLOCK SCREENSHOT.jpg

supermariofan25

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
If the program is simple in how it runs then maybe you could try WineSkin to package Chameleon Clock into a Mac App, it should be straight forward if you have the time. If you need any help just let me know. WineSkin is a free and opensource application based on the WINE project that adds an easier to use graphical interface. The WINE project lets users run many Windows applications on other platforms such as Linux and Mac OS X.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Hi, and thanks for your reply....I think that may be more than I can handle, but once I get out from under a bunch of pressing commitments, maybe I'll give it a go and see what happens. In any case, thanks so much for the suggestion!
[doublepost=1472704714][/doublepost]

Hi there...thanks for your suggestion. I've looked at Fantastical but, if I'm seeing the screenshots right, it looks like one has to pull up a whole calendar to see tasks, reminders, etc. What I'm looking for/hoping to find would be more like the app I mentioned, Chameleon Clock (Windows only). I'm attaching a screenshot of what a single reminder from Chameleon Clock looks like. It's such a really great app I've been really surprised there's nothing like it for Mac. Please let me know if I'm wrong about Fantastical, but it looked to me like 2DO, in that it creates long lists, but no single reminders. Thanks again...

PS: As you can see from the Cham Clock screenshot, one can snooze the alert, or use the drop down menu next to Close, and simply edit the reminder (change the date, time, frequency, text, etc.) This looks huge the way it's pasted in this reply but, in actuality the size of the reminder is about 2 x 3 inches. View attachment 647820

Fantastical uses natural language and lives in the Finder Bar! It integrates into Reminders that will pop up and you can set a chimp, snooze and set window size!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
...at a set time puts up a small dialogue with the text of the reminder, a colored background, ability to snooze, play a sound, etc. Alerts can be set to run every day, hourly, once, annually, monthly, etc. ... I specifically want a discrete, single reminder to pop up, not a list of things to do that day, or a whole calendar of things to do. I'd be very grateful for any recommendations. Thanks.

Got it: Dave's Remember? which you can find (I think) at warker.com
I've been using it for a decade and a half. I like it much better than iCal/Calendar.
Pay once, updates are free for life.

winmorgan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Fantastical uses natural language and lives in the Finder Bar! It integrates into Reminders that will pop up and you can set a chimp, snooze and set window size!

Well...I may have to give it a whirl. Thank you for the added info. (What's a "chimp"?)
[doublepost=1472845326][/doublepost]
Got it: Dave's Remember? which you can find (I think) at warker.com
I've been using it for a decade and a half. I like it much better than iCal/Calendar.
Pay once, updates are free for life.

Just downloaded it and trying it out...will keep you posted. Thanks so much for the recommendation; despite lots of searching, I'd never come across that app's name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.