Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldManMurphy76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Good Morning,

I'm new here, so I hope this question hasn't already been asked.

First off, I have a Mac Pro G5 Tower, that has been maxed out into running 10.7.5 due to its original age - I bought it in 2014 refurbished, but the original born date was 2007, a hurdle that has made many of my molehill issues like mountains.

I am looking to screen record a Let's Play of some video games, BUT I would also like to overlay, either in a PiP or some other fashion, another section of my desktop that displays the members of a Discord Voice Server I have running; mainly so when I upload this to YouTube, or the like, the viewers can SEE who is talking and not worry about remembering names and voices.

I used to be able to stream on Twitch, but since they changed their requirements, and no longer support Adobe FLME, I am forced to use OBS, problem with OBS is that it requires 10.8 minimum, and that's how I found out I'm stuck in 10.7.5 land.

I have iShowUHD, but that bogs down my computer as the video it records gets bigger and bigger, and QuickTime Screen Record is great, but limited to extra bells and whistles. I also heard that Discord has an Overlay function, but not available for Mac.

Does anyone have any idea of how I can make this happen?

Again, to summarize, Running Mac OS X 10.7.5, looking to screen record, with an added overlay of a different portion of my desktop.

Thanks in Advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.