Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dirty moose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2015
Hello everyone,

I have an old MBP, I believe it's from 2009 ish. I've replaced the HD once. Since then the MBP has stopped working. I'm about 90% sure it's the HD again.

Is it worth it to install a new solid state HD? And maybe add some more RAM?
Also how would I get OS x back on to a blank HD? I'm currently running a windows machine.

Any help would be great appreciated.

Matt

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Is it worth it to install a new solid state HD? And maybe add some more RAM?

SSDs are pretty cheap now, it would be worth it if you're looking for a cheap laptop for light usage. I don't know if you'd need more RAM, it really depends on how you'd like to use the computer.

Before you buy a SSD, test the internal HDD. It's possible that the SATA cable is bad.

Also how would I get OS x back on to a blank HD? I'm currently running a windows machine.

The easiest method would be the original restore discs. If you don't have them you can pick up OSX 10.6 from Apple for $20.

dirty moose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2015
SSDs are pretty cheap now, it would be worth it if you're looking for a cheap laptop for light usage. I don't know if you'd need more RAM, it really depends on how you'd like to use the computer.

Before you buy a SSD, test the internal HDD. It's possible that the SATA cable is bad.

The easiest method would be the original restore discs. If you don't have them you can pick up OSX 10.6 from Apple for $20.

So when I turn it on the screen just stays white.
Could take be a SATA cable issue?

I also used to use that computer for a lot of DJing use. Musical stuff.

Matt

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
So when I turn it on the screen just stays white.
Could take be a SATA cable issue?

That is possibly another issue. Typically a Mac with a bad HDD or bad SATA cable will boot up to a folder with a question mark or a prohibitive symbol.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204156

I also used to use that computer for a lot of DJing use. Musical stuff.

More RAM may be helpful, but I'd get it working before you go spend money on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.