Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
I am looking to buy a Canon video camera, I haven't looked very deeply into it yet but I need something that takes relatively high resolution video. It doesn't need to be HD and preferable won't be because I don't want to spend that much. I also don't want to spend over $1000. What do you recommend?

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Well, all resolution in DV video is the same 720x480. if you want good performance, especially in low light...take a look at the Optura line. ANd stay away from DVD camcorders. They have high compression and editing them with iMovie is relatively difficult without the right software.

thumper

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2003
Under the Sea
I have the Canon Optura 10, it is REALLY good.
im surprised at just how good the picture is everytime i import it
on my mac.

its as close to a xl2 as you can get with out spending too much.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
As MovieCutter said DV video is the same quality, but some CCD chips are better than others. If you can get a 3 chip camera it will be better than 1, but I think 3 chips is above you price. Last year I got a sony DCR HC42E, & its very good, it has a 16:9 screen does all the video in/out to DV conversion & was around £450. If you are in the UK Jesops will do a price match to web stores.

any reason you are just sticking to Canon?

EDIT: what you want to look out for is how well a DV cam performs in low light, this is where they often fall down.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
evil_santa said:
As MovieCutter said DV video is the same quality, but some CCD chips are better than others. If you can get a 3 chip camera it will be better than 1, but I think 3 chips is above you price.
Not necessarily. On the consumer level their is a trade off between 1 CCD and 3 CCD cameras. Typically the 3 CCD consumer cameras will have smaller CCDs than their 1 chip counterparts. So while the 3 CCD camera could give better color reproduction it will come at the cost of low light performance, noise, and dynamic range compared to the 1 CCD camera (assuming all other things are equal between the two cameras).

Lethal

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
LethalWolfe said:
Not necessarily. On the consumer level their is a trade off between 1 CCD and 3 CCD cameras. Typically the 3 CCD consumer cameras will have smaller CCDs than their 1 chip counterparts. So while the 3 CCD camera could give better color reproduction it will come at the cost of low light performance, noise, and dynamic range compared to the 1 CCD camera (assuming all other things are equal between the two cameras).

Lethal

This is exactly why people who ask "what camera should I buy" need to say how they intend to USE the camera. outdoors, indoors, for events on a tripod or hand held at Disneyland? does it need to be small or are you lke me having big hands and hating small cameras.? More info equals more relivent advice.

I think my next camera might be a used VX1000. I'll use it exclusivly outdoors and don't care that it lacks an LCD display. Lots of "real" controls that are full sized. With 3 largerr sized CCDs the vieo quality is outstanding and the price is right at $1k. But will the VX1000 meet YOUR needs?

tweakers_suck

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
benjamindaines said:
I am looking to buy a Canon video camera, I haven't looked very deeply into it yet but I need something that takes relatively high resolution video. It doesn't need to be HD and preferable won't be because I don't want to spend that much. I also don't want to spend over $1000. What do you recommend?

I have a Canon ZR90 and like it very much. If I were looking to buy right now I would get a ZR200(?) because of the 16:9 aspect. My camera is very good ourdoors and pretty good in low light. When shooting inside I try to turn up the room lights, but I think that is true for most cameras.

These enty-level vid cameras from Canon are really good for the price. I use my camera for home movies and I would only spend $1000 if you are a professional.

Also, the Canon's have a built-in ADC which comes in very handy. I can transfer files to my Mac from my Tivo, VCR, etc.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I'm buying a camera in a few months time, and I'd appreciate some advice from people here too. If you feel I should start a new thread instead, let me know please.

The main use for it will be filming Deaf people signing, in various situations - mainly indoors, with non-optimal light, and I have no idea what to look for in a camera to make sure it'll be good at this.

Sign language involves lots of fast small movements with the hands, if thats any help, and they need to be picked up clearly and sharply by the camera.

My budget is about £1000 -£1200, (about $1500). I've mainly used the Canon MVX25i (about £550 in 2004, also known as optura or elura in the USA) and been quite impressed with it.

I recently brought a JVC GRDX97 (£300) as a handheld cam for an expedition, and was disgusted with it - the image was grainy, noisy, and unsuitable for filming Signing. It's sitting in my drawer till I can sell it to someone who can make better use of it.

I've also used a Canon XM2 and XL-1, and preferred the XM2 as I found the foldout screen a bit more user-friendly.

I considered buying the XM2, but feel its rather out of date now, and would like to go with something more modern - possibly one of the new cheaper HD cameras, if they are significantly better at filming signing.

Advice please?

Thanks,

.. RedTomato ..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.