Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loco Sock

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Anyway, I'm coming from a 27" 5k-iMac 2017 with a 2TB Fusion drive that's got around 1.2TB free.

So, I was looking at the base model Mac Mini with 16GB of RAM and keeping the 256GB SSD in there. But, I only get 2 TB4 ports. I looked at the Studio Display and I can just see in 5 or 6 years, them not updating the iOS on it any more and for some reason, it not being able to run the newest OS.

I'm running Sonoma via OCLP.

Anyway, I was looking at this monitor, the Gigabyte M28U https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Monitor-Display-Response-FreeSync/dp/B094NX6C8R ... I have no experience with Gigabyte, but the reviews seem pretty good and lots of people having success with the 144hz Refresh rate, which would be "nice" to have (using DP 1.4). The resolution is decent too. It's no Retina iMac. I'm also a console gamer and this wouldn't be seeing many games.

On the storage and boot drive front, I was looking at the Acasis 40Gbps M.2 NVMe enclosure https://www.amazon.com/ACASIS-Enclosure-Compatible-Aluminum-External/dp/B0BB74BQVN with a 2TB or 4TB (why not?) WD Black SN850, because I've seen this exact same drive hooked up to Thunderbolt3/4 and getting 2,800MB/s read and write on YouTube.

That leaves me with NO TB ports to put a time machine SSD in. So I'd have to go for more ports, either via the M2 PRO Mini or the Studio.

I really don't want to fork out that money.. as I was hoping to swap Mini's every few years with this setup and whatever else comes up.

I can fit my current system on a 1TB SSD and probably make a few hundred gigs free as I want to do a clean start and just grab things like iPhoto Library and whatever else comes to mind from my current Time Machine (or the computer directly, if I haven't sold it yet).

I also looked at Hubs/Stacks.. some claiming to have built in M.2 NVME enclosures with 2,800MB/s capability, but I find that hard to believe over a 10Gbps connection.

So yeah, the $799 Mac Mini ($699 .edu) with some fast external storage and a TB/DP1.4 driven display leaving no TB ports open is the TL/DR.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Edit: My current Time Machine is an 8TB 3.5 SATA in USB 3.1 external enclosure.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Your Time Machine external can be connected to a USB-A port. Who cares how long backups take? For more USB-C ports, USB-C hub? With more $$$, more TB ports with TB hub ??? I love my Studio Display and not worried about obsolesce in 5/6 years.... gives you extra USB-C ports as well.

Loco Sock

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Thanks for your input. Apparently the HDMI port on the base M2 Mini is 2.0, which I haven't read anyone having any success above 60hz with.

I suppose I'll go with the Time Machine plugged into a USB port. The problems with the stacks and the hubs, from everything I've read, is the speed seems to drop to 10Gbps, so 40 is out of the question. Even the ports on the Studio Display are 10Gbps and in the last 12 hours or so, I was heavily considering the Studio Display.

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
It’s too late for me since I bought the m2/16/256 thinking to add a 1Tb external and maybe a powered hub. Consider a tb4 powered hub will be ~$300-$400 and I’m not sure on the 1Tb enclosure plus SSD but probably in the $200 range when evaluating your configuration. Someone else might comment on thi, but I think models with 2 TB ports have 1 bus while those with 4TB ports have 2 buses. This would affect speed of attached accessories. Depending on your use case you may want to check a higher spec machine like the mini pro. I’m fine with what I bought for my use case.

dono42

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2018
New Hampshire, USA
On the Apple refurbished site in the US now is a M2/24GB/512GB for $1019.00 a M2 Pro/16GB/512GB for $1099.00 and a M2/16GB/1TB + 10Gb etherent for $1099.00 you do the math.

Saberon2014

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2013
Thanks for your input. Apparently the HDMI port on the base M2 Mini is 2.0, which I haven't read anyone having any success above 60hz with.

I suppose I'll go with the Time Machine plugged into a USB port. The problems with the stacks and the hubs, from everything I've read, is the speed seems to drop to 10Gbps, so 40 is out of the question. Even the ports on the Studio Display are 10Gbps and in the last 12 hours or so, I was heavily considering the Studio Display.
I have a Base M2 Mini 1440P @ 165hz over HDMI no issues

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I looked at the Studio Display and I can just see in 5 or 6 years, them not updating the iOS on it any more and for some reason, it not being able to run the newest OS.

Since this is a new architecture it is possible, but unlikely. My Studio was running an old OS before the Sonoma upgrade and worked just fine.

Who cares how long backups take?

Yep. Since they run in the background speed isn't normally an issue.

I suppose I'll go with the Time Machine plugged into a USB port

That will be 1 of the 3 backups in the recommended 3-2-1 backup strategy, with just one being TM. What port(s) are you going to use for the non-TM backup(s)?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I just scored (I hope) a
Apple Mac mini, 8-core Apple M1 "Late 2020" with 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 8-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, Used, Mint
for $429, since I love Monterey over Venthora and Snoreoma.
is this the base model with the extra cores, or a step up?
thanks for reading!

Reactions: BusanAA

Loco Sock

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
I just scored (I hope) a
Apple Mac mini, 8-core Apple M1 "Late 2020" with 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 8-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, Used, Mint
for $429, since I love Monterey over Venthora and Snoreoma.
is this the base model with the extra cores, or a step up?
thanks for reading!
I don't think it's a very good deal... can get a brand-spanking new M2 with 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 8-core CPU, 10-Core GPU, 16-Core Neural Engine for $499 as an educational discount.

Here's a link if you like: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-mini/apple-m2-chip-with-8-core-cpu-and-10-core-gpu-256gb and educational link: https://www.apple.com/us-edu/shop/b...m2-chip-with-8-core-cpu-and-10-core-gpu-256gb

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I don't think it's a very good deal... can get a brand-spanking new M2 with 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 8-core CPU, 10-Core GPU, 16-Core Neural Engine for $499 as an educational discount.

Here's a link if you like: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-mini/apple-m2-chip-with-8-core-cpu-and-10-core-gpu-256gb and educational link: https://www.apple.com/us-edu/shop/b...m2-chip-with-8-core-cpu-and-10-core-gpu-256gb
Probably, but I dont have the educations……anymore.
And i can get a new M2 mini with more ssd but

this mini runs Monterey which I prefer more over the last 2 :apple: OS releases.
and 16 cores is a good thing!

my gamble is the longevity on the M1 processor.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you're thinking "m2pro" Mini, and you can afford to wait a little longer, you might wait...

... for the "m3pro" Mini, which I sense is going to appear in February or March next year.

That's really "not that far away"...

Reactions: Loco Sock

Loco Sock

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Additionally, you might want to look at the refurbished store at Apple, they have a M2/8GB/256GB for $509 right now.

And there is the event happening tomorrow at 5pm which could switch some stuff up. If that used mac mini from whatever source it is was $300, I'd say it's a good deal.. just don't think you are getting one, that's all.

Loco Sock

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
If you're thinking "m2pro" Mini, and you can afford to wait a little longer, you might wait...

... for the "m3pro" Mini, which I sense is going to appear in February or March next year.

That's really "not that far away"...
Yeah, with this new external SSD, my current machine is running probably better than it ever has. And I'll be able to use that SSD on a new machine.. so yeah, I think I can live a few more months :)

Loco Sock

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Well, I think I've changed my mind on the monitor, I think the LG Ultrafine 5K is the one for me, good deals can be found all over. Maybe in a few years higher refresh rates will be more common for desktop users (as it seems every monitor above 60hz automatically gets the gamer tag).

I just noticed a big difference going from an iPhone 12 Pro Max to the iPhone 15 Pro Max and the ProMotion refresh is noticeable.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with it, I'd love to hear about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBAir2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.