Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you had any serious issues/problems with your AirPods Max? If yes, what type/s?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rory76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
Wondering how widespread problems/issues are with the AirPods Max. If you own them, or have owned them, could you please answer the following?

Also, unrelated question and I know it’s apples and oranges, but for those who also own the AirPods Pro 2, is the sound quality from the Max “that much” better than the APP 2’s??

Thanks!

Last edited:

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
I have had them since day 1 and never had any issues with them. They work perfectly for me! And the noise cancellation? An industry best, IMHO, when compared to other over-the-ear headphones. And, IMHO, they feel so comfortable on my ears too, I can wear them for hours upon hours. A great purchase IMHO. Sure, they don't support lossless, but I'm not an audiophile, so I don't care.

They are great and I don't regret my purchase at all. I may be in the minority, but I am free to post my opinion, so here it is.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
I 100% concur with @anshuvorty. 0 problems since almost 3 years.
Well, no comment on the abomination of a 'case'.
Good point. The case is horrendous, no doubt about it, but I don't travel with it, so I didn't comment on it. I just use it at home while I am working and it works great to tune out outside distractions and really helps me get in the zone because of the great noise cancellation that I mentioned in my post.

Reactions: Rory76 and arw

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Oh it wasn't directed at you! I meant it like "Everything regarding the headphones themselves is great but I'd better not comment on the case…"

Reactions: Rory76

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
I’ve had the silver AirPods Max since October 2021 and was highly delighted with them up until a month ago. Got the dreaded condensation problem, manifesting as rumbling/crackling/squelching in the right ear when ANC is engaged. It sounds as though there is liquid in the external mic, but the headphones work fine without ANC engaged. Safe to say the headphones have never once been near any water, leave alone gotten wet.

Amazon UK have had the headphones back for repair twice, the first time saying they couldn’t detect the problem (sure…), the second saying they are out of manufacturers warranty. Having been on the phone with them multiple times, their third party repair company want £560+ GBP to repair them, well over the cost of simply buying a new pair from Apple with additional Applecare.

On the one had, I’m reluctant to spring for another pair that might manifest the same issue, especially with rumours of a second version next year. On the other hand I love the Spatial Audio with head tracking for watching video without disturbing anyone else via iPad Pro or Apple TV 4K, not to mention the joys of multichannel audio on Apple Music.

Toying with whether to replace or stick with my AirPods Pro & Bose 700s and see what next year brings.

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
I haven’t had any issues with my launch day Max and they so Nd significantly better than my Pro 2, especially when watching movies with what would be theater shaking bass.

lanomds1

macrumors member
May 19, 2020
Lisbon, Portugal
I love my AirPods Max, but I regret the color I chose. I went for the silver one (I still find the most beautiful color of the headset) but it gets dirty really fast and the headband is getting yellow by the years. I’d definitely advise you to buy the space grey since hair moisture won’t damage the color as much. In terms of sound quality and noise cancellation it’s absolutely incredible. I also find it super comfortable even wearing for long periods of time. I don’t like the case at all, but it’s something you get used to.

Bottom line: it’s an amazing product, you won’t be disappointed!

Reactions: tranceking26

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I've had mine since about a month after launch, and I use them for hours every day. Needless to say, I love them.

My only gripe is that the canopy/headband is not available as a spare part. My headband netting is sagging and will not provide any support. I am totally fine with that the fabric wears, I for sure used the crap out of these headphones. But please Apple, make it a spare part or service item without "offering" a full replacement for like €350.

Apart from that - I love them. And it's not like I cant use them, they're ever so slightly less comfy.

I'll probably get flak for this, but I appreciate the "case". It's small and light and protects the most obvious thing, that the cups clank together. I travel a lot with my APM's, and usually they are on my head, so no case needed most of the time.

On the few occasions I do need them stowed away, they're usually in my backpack, and being in a case as small as possible is a good thing when travelling. I hated the bulky case my old Bose had. I often just left the case and just put the headphones into the bag.

ISignedUpToAskThis

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2022
I've had numerous sets ranging from brand new to used, and kept them for up to 6 months at a time - not a single issue whatsoever.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
have had 2 difference pairs now fail due to condensation and corrosion build up in the headband connector pins.
with only normal indoor usage for a few hours at a time. both pairs out of warranty.
cleaning connector pins and the connector hole inside the earcup w isopropyl alcohol didnt fix the issue.
both pairs have had electrical tape covering the sim eject hole from early on. clearly didnt help

kyriostrife

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
have had 2 difference pairs now fail due to condensation and corrosion build up in the headband connector pins.
with only normal indoor usage for a few hours at a time. both pairs out of warranty.
cleaning connector pins and the connector hole inside the earcup w isopropyl alcohol didnt fix the issue.
both pairs have had electrical tape covering the sim eject hole from early on. clearly didnt help
How long did it take each pair to fail?

Moncler

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2024
I used mine a lot for a year before I started having issues. I sleep with them frequently. I believe my issues were battery related but I'm not sure as Apple didn't tell me when I sent them in and Apple just gave me a new pair. (They didn't say they were, but the pair I got back in the mail seem new and definitely a different serial number.)

I think you have 60 days to purchase Apple Care, if your still in that window, I highly recommend it. I believe without it, they charge you $300 to fix\replace them.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Only issue I had was very early on

I did have AppleCare+ and even that has now expired

Bare pickle at this point

I still love them for what they are, but I’m positive the ANC got nerfed many moons ago…. New Apple ear pads didn’t restore ANC to its original glory (had heard maybe…nah)

When they were new new…the ANC was like nothing I’ve heard (and I’ve tried most all of it since the very first Bose Aviation headset )

AppelGeenyus

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2019
Headband mesh wears out every 18 months rendering them unwearable.

They also start to inexplicably cut out around this time where both audio and transparency/ANC disables. Sometimes this can be fixed by simply taking them off then putting back on again, other times they require a full reboot by holding both buttons down for ~13 seconds.

On my 3rd pair(2nd replacement from apple) and fully expect this pair to have the same issue(s).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.