Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tattooed Old Dude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
North Carolina
What's going on everyone.
I am currently using a M1 MacBook Pro for my daily work tasks which I currently have plugged into a Usb C to HDMI dongle to allow me to use it with a monitor. I am wanting to upgrade to a dual monitor setup and I was wondering what is the best possibly way to do that. I would like to have one vertical monitor and one horizontal monitor all run off my MacBook Pro.

Attachments

• tempImageBvkqMM.png
    tempImageBvkqMM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 107

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I'm assuming you have the base M1 chip, which only supports one external display natively. You'll need a hub/dock that has DisplayLink (or InstantView) to get around that limitation. The second display will be a "virtual"/software-driven display and may have some artifact issues depending on what you're doing with it. They're generally fine for office type work, but could become an issue if you do videos or games.

I'm only familiar with the HyperDrive hubs since that's what my employer gave me. Any of these would work for you, but there are others out there as well. Just make sure they specifically say they'll work with the base M1/M2/M3 MacBooks.

Tattooed Old Dude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
North Carolina
awesome this is what I was thinking as I have watched a bunch of YouTube videos lately on peoples desktop setups. this helps a lot. I appreciate the reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.