Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AceJ86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
I have just purchased the new MacBook Pro m1 Max and am looking to invest in a home office setup to take full advantage of the thunderbolt ports and overall upgraded performance. I have upgraded from the 2015 pro retina, so have never used thunderbolts before. I am first looking at a decent all-rounder monitor for photo editing, movies and some occasional gaming in a darkish room. The monitors I have narrowed down to are the Dell U3219Q, ASUS ProArt PA329C, BenQ PD3220U and finally the LG Ultrafine 32UL950.

I have found myself bouncing from monitor to monitor for about 3 weeks now, always finding something that lets them down one way or another. I already have a Dell UP2720Q for work photo editing, and it’s a great monitor, but I haven’t quite got the budget to buy another, which sways me towards the cheaper Dell U3219Q, then I keep gravitating towards the LG UF for its Thunderbolt ports (has light bleed issues in darker rooms) but then it’s only 60Watt power output opposed to the Dells USB-C 90W, now I’m thinking, does any of this matter if I buy a decent TB4 dock Possibly (Kensington SD5700 or Razor TB4 dock) does the wattage really matter as I will be plugging my MBP straight into the dock. The other monitor that’s quite high on the radar is the ASUS ProArt PA329C with its better HDR but again with only 60w USBC not thunderbolt.

I hope I’ve made sense being new to it all or am I missing something altogether. If anyone could shed some light on my situation, it would be much appreciated and get me out of this endless cycle of going around and around in circles.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Still doesn’t exist. The perfect match would be a 27” 5K (maybe even 90hz) to use retina 2X with enough screen estate.

AceJ86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
Still doesn’t exist. The perfect match would be a 27” 5K (maybe even 90hz) to use retina 2X with enough screen estate.
Would that be the LG Ultrafine 27MD5KL-B 5K by any chance? I think thats the one designed mainly for apple with P3 colour gamut. The monitor does look great but over budget and was looking for a 32 as going to be used to watch movies as well from across the other side of my room when not at the desk.

Reactions: ikir

AceJ86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
Have you looked at Eizo?
I did have a look at Eizo's before pulling the trigger on my Dell UP2720q work horse. The reason I ended uop with the Dell was for the integrated colour meter and price as was quite a bit cheaper than the Eizo equivilent.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Would that be the LG Ultrafine 27MD5KL-B 5K by any chance? I think thats the one designed mainly for apple with P3 colour gamut. The monitor does look great but over budget and was looking for a 32 as going to be used to watch movies as well from across the other side of my room when not at the desk.

Yes but it is hard to find, expensive, no HDR and "only" 60hz. Just saying the perfect match for a new MacBook Pro M1 pro would be 5K at 27", HDR, P3, more than 60hz.

AceJ86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
Yes but it is hard to find, expensive, no HDR and "only" 60hz. Just saying the perfect match for a new MacBook Pro M1 pro would be 5K at 27", HDR, P3, more than 60hz.
And Thunderbolt, is it too much to ask :D When they do bring such a monitor out no doubts it will be hugly expensive.

ryanmillercg

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
Toronto, ON
The USB-C 27" LG 4K monitors are a good match. I've got the 27UN850 and it's been lovely. Unfortunately none of these monitors appear to have high enough power delivery to take care of charging needs (highest I've seen is 60 watt).

AceJ86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
If I had the doller I'd get the Dell Ultrasharp UP3221Q but a bit pricey at 3.5K ?, you can pick them up for 1800 on amazon as refurbished but still out of my price range at this point. I have a Dell UP2720Q which is a great monitor with 90w usb-c power delivery but again bit pricey for me atm. I'm currently looking for a 32inch as going to be used for movies or I'd defo go for another 27. I'm still not sure if the Thunderbolt or usb-c is totally neccisary as I'm going to get a dock with all the ports and decent thunderbolt power delivery. ?‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.