Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
CA
I'm looking to update my browser Safari 13.1.2. My OS is macOS High Sierra, 10.13.6 and my desktop computer is about 12 years old. Is there such an update for the Safari browser. I'm trying to create a blog on Wordpress, but it tells me that the browser I'm using needs updating. Thank you for any insight. -Ella

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
nope
I'm on Mojave and stuck at 14
you could patch and get Mojave
or use waterfox, or another web browser.

wow
Wordpress is getting all Millennial now?

Reactions: kathryne_B

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Browsers eventually die a slow death. No longer updated, the old version can’t keep up with the newer features online. If you provide your Mac model and year, someone can tell you the latest macOS you can upgrade to. That is the only way to get a newer version of Safari.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
On an older Mac, with an older version of the OS, the point is going to be reached where Safari may not work with some websites. Unfortunately, Apple seems to "leave older versions of Safari behind" without updates.

The best workaround on an older Mac will be to experiment with OTHER browsers, which are often kept updated much better than Safari.

Suggestions:
Waterfox
Firefox
iCab
Brave
Dissenter
Opera

After 12 years, it might be time to start looking for a newer Mac desktop... (sigh)

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
CA
Browsers eventually die a slow death. No longer updated, the old version can’t keep up with the newer features online. If you provide your Mac model and year, someone can tell you the latest macOS you can upgrade to. That is the only way to get a newer version of Safari.
Unfortunately, my computer is 12 years old. So I doubt that anyone could help give the name of a reliable browser. Thank you for your post. -Ella

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
CA
On an older Mac, with an older version of the OS, the point is going to be reached where Safari may not work with some websites. Unfortunately, Apple seems to "leave older versions of Safari behind" without updates.

The best workaround on an older Mac will be to experiment with OTHER browsers, which are often kept updated much better than Safari.

Suggestions:
Waterfox
Firefox
iCab
Brave
Dissenter
Opera

After 12 years, it might be time to start looking for a newer Mac desktop... (sigh)
Thank you for all the browser possibilities. -Ella

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
CA

Suggestions:
Waterfox
Firefox
iCab
Brave
Dissenter
Opera

But my 12 year old computer works fine and the thing about getting a new computer is that most of my apps will be broken. -Ella

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Ella ...

I also am still using Mohave on my iMac and have found Safari to be increasingly troublesome.

Over the past few months I've transitioned to using FireFox for 95% of my web browsing and have been very pleased with it.

It is very easy to use and it provides updates frequently. The updates are amazingly fast and easy to install. Just one click and 20 seconds later you are updated. No need to close any applications or to restart your computer. Way less cumbersome than Apple's implementation of Safari !

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
try microsoft edge, i find that the best browser on mojave. works a treat and microsoft at least update it still.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I'm using Waterfox on my Dell XPS 9370 and Mac Mini 2012
which seem to play streaming sites like various Sports streaming sites and others.

have we updated our Java Script?
that usually speeds up slow websites.

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
CA
Ella ...

I also am still using Mohave on my iMac and have found Safari to be increasingly troublesome.

Over the past few months I've transitioned to using FireFox for 95% of my web browsing and have been very pleased with it.

It is very easy to use and it provides updates frequently. The updates are amazingly fast and easy to install. Just one click and 20 seconds later you are updated. No need to close any applications or to restart your computer. Way less cumbersome than Apple's implementation of Safari !
Hi. I too have the Firefox browser installed on my dock. Perhaps I'll start using it, but right now I'm using Safari, because I'm used to it. Thanx for the input. -Ella

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.