Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
The Apple website is showing April 30 as order date for new iPad Magic Keyboard but how is it different from the current one other than the new white color? The 12.9" version in black you can't order until April 30 and the current one is gone from the website. Maybe slightly different size to account for the new thickness of iPad Pro 2021? Apple website doesn't list any of differences that I can tell besides color.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I my 2020 MK doesn't work (form and function) with the new 2021 iPad Pro I am going to be bummed. This will make me wait another year to upgrade.

Proteinaceous

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
I my 2020 MK doesn't work (form and function) with the new 2021 iPad Pro I am going to be bummed. This will make me wait another year to upgrade.
On Apple’s website the 12.9 keyboard compatibility is only for the 2021 iPad Pro (5th gen), so it does not appear to be backward compatible with the 2018 or 2020 12.9 iPad Pros. Given that, I am assuming the 2020 12.9 MK is also not forward compatible with the 2021 iPad Pros. I can’t find the 2020 12.9 MK on Apple’s website anymore so I can’t confirm.

I’m guessing the iPad thickness is different, the camera module size/location is different, and/or the smart connector location is different making the 2021 MK incompatible with the previous iPads and vice-versa.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I found this on Apple’s site regarding the new MK.Wouldn’t this mean it would be compatible with my 2018 iPad Pro 12.9”? Unless the new on is backwards compatible, but the original one is not forward compatible???

System Requirements​

iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd, 4th, or 5th generation), iPad Pro 11-inch (1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation), or iPad Air (4th generation) running iPadOS 14.5 or later.

Last edited:

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Any idea if the current MKB will be compatible with the 5th gen IPP? If the new keyboard will be compatible with the older iPads then all the dimensions and connecting pins must be the same as the current keyboard.

defn

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2015
I just tried covering my 2018's screen with half of the Smart Folio and the hinge won't shut fully on the old Magic Keyboard. It's highly likely that it will not fit the 2021 12.9".

Looks like I'll be skipping this generation too, then.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Any idea if the current MKB will be compatible with the 5th gen IPP? If the new keyboard will be compatible with the older iPads then all the dimensions and connecting pins must be the same as the current keyboard.
Apparently the current Magic Keyboard is no longer offered on the Store, only the new one available for order on the 30th. However the current Smart Keyboard folio is available and is shown to be compatible with the new Pros so I have to assume the current MKB will be compatible with the new Pro.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I just tried covering my 2018's screen with half of the Smart Folio and the hinge won't shut fully on the old Magic Keyboard. It's highly likely that it will not fit the 2021 12.9".

Looks like I'll be skipping this generation too, then.
I’m trying to picture what you’re trying to do. The Smart Folio for the 12.9 new 5th gen Pro is shown as compatible with my 3rd gen 2018 Pro, so they should be the same. But if you’re using the Magic Keyboard why are you trying to put the folio cover on? I guess I’m not seeing exactly what you’re trying to do.

So far it looks like all the keyboard accessories that are currently out will be compatible with the new ipad.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Apparently the current Magic Keyboard is no longer offered on the Store, only the new one available for order on the 30th. However the current Smart Keyboard folio is available and is shown to be compatible with the new Pros so I have to assume the current MKB will be compatible with the new Pro.

I’m trying to picture what you’re trying to do. The Smart Folio for the 12.9 new 5th gen Pro is shown as compatible with my 3rd gen 2018 Pro, so they should be the same. But if you’re using the Magic Keyboard why are you trying to put the folio cover on? I guess I’m not seeing exactly what you’re trying to do.

So far it looks like all the keyboard accessories that are currently out will be compatible with the new
I think the current (old) Magic Keyboard for the 3rd/4th gen won’t work with the 2021 5th gen. Although the new version looks similar, and will work with the older-gen iPads, the new 12.9 iPad is too thick to allow for the older Magic Keyboards to properly close.

Bummed!

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I would really like for apple to confirm what is different about the new 12.9" Magic Keyboard. We can assume it's just slightly tweaked for the extra thickness but it isn't that much thicker that the old one wouldn't work - maybe the extra weight means more magnets are needed?

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I think the current (old) Magic Keyboard for the 3rd/4th gen won’t work with the 2021 5th gen. Although the new version looks similar, and will work with the older-gen iPads, the new 12.9 iPad is too thick to allow for the older Magic Keyboards to properly close.

Bummed!
That would be unfortunate but I’ll have to wait for some confirmation of that. So far Apple is showing that all the currently available accessories are compatible with all 3rd, 4th, and 5th gen models. It would be strange, and costly for us, if only the current MKB was not compatible.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I would really like for apple to confirm what is different about the new 12.9" Magic Keyboard. We can assume it's just slightly tweaked for the extra thickness but it isn't that much thicker that the old one wouldn't work - maybe the extra weight means more magnets are needed?
It is only .5mm thicker and 52 grams heavier - I’m comparing the wifi + cellular. That wouldn’t seem to be enough to cause any compatibility issues, all other dimensions are the same - as the 3rd gen model that I have. The only speculation I’ve read is that’s it will work but we’ll just have to learn more over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.