Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
Gimp works on Big Sur, barely. Slow, laggy and almost unusable. A shame, since it worked so well on Mojave. Unfortunately, the boards say that the only Mac developer for Gimp is MIA, so we are probably at the end of life for that program on MacOs. I guess Pixelmator Pro is a replacement if all you have are Macs, but I have a high end Debian box that runs it fine. It will serve me for my few drawing needs for a long time.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I found few multiplatform, open source things have lost their maintainers. About 10 years ago, I used to use some of the printer drivers from https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openprinting/macosx/ for some HP inkjet printers at work as the drivers from HP didn't work. When the maintainers left and Mac OS X kept progressing, the open source drivers stopped working. We eventually got rid of those printers, too, but I hate how perfectly useful software (and by extension hardware) goes by the wayside when the developers leave.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
Open source is both its own best friend and worst enemy. Back in the day, just developing a good utility was recompense in itself. I did that a few times, and the reward was the interest and use by others for the code. But, it brought up a generation or two of techies who expected software to be free (as in beer) and just couldn't be convinced to purchase a program. Borland had a Unix/Linux clone of their excellent Delphi suite, called Kylix, but couldn't even sell enough to pay for a website to support it. Scrivener had one also, giving up for the same reason, I would wager. And those are not the only two by a long shot.

After a while, even an enthusiastic developer wants to move on, especially after fielding demands and complaints from users who expect a top-of-the-line Photoshop or Office suite for nothing, and bug reports to be acted on instantly.

I expect the situation to get worse, given the increasing complexity and security needs of the future.

A shame. I used, learned with, and modified a lot of good, free software in my time.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Sadly, this is not news. GIMP for Mac has stagnated for over a year while the Windows version gets prompt updates.

Either Pixelmator (regular or Pro) or Affinity Photo are the ways to go for Mac users. Both are payware but at least they aren't on a subscription model like Big A.

This is an example of one of the weak points of FOSS especially for the Mac environment since the audience is so small.

Reactions: Nightfury326

romanof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
Can't you build it from source? It is after all open source. Maybe Mac users are lazy and ant point-and-click installs.
Certainly, but you would get the same source that has built the current Mac version and have the same problems. You can't take the source from the Linux build tree and expect it to work on a Mac.

But, if you want to download the Mac source, and modify it to work on Big Sur, then that would be welcomed by many. You would, in fact, become the replacement for the Mac guy who has moved on from the project.

Reactions: Nightfury326

romanof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
An update. My M1 Air came in ahead of the M1 Mini for some reason, and I loaded GIMP (latest version from website) and it works about the same as on Mojave on my 2017 iMac 27". Responsive, no drag, no delays. Don't know if it is the speed of the M1 or just the way the emulation works, but it is definitely usable. Not with the snappiness of Pixelmator Pro, which absolutely flies, but usable for sure.

From a working standpoint, that is. I wouldn't use an Air for any real picture making. Screen is too small and I can't draw with a trackpad worth a flip.

Another update: 12/16/2020 I downloaded Gimp 2.10 to a new 16gb M1 mini, and it works fine. Running in emulation mode, obviously, but it is very responsive - fast even. Maybe we have a few years left, or the Gimp organization will find a new MacOS volunteer.

Last edited:
Reactions: SigEp265

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
GIMP for Mac is back from the dead. The GIMP team apparently has a new Mac maintainer and 2.10.22 has finally been released.

This release apparently still has some rather serious M1 problems according to them.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
Somebody fixed something. GIMP works really well now on 11.3.1, but...
Affinity Photo works far better, I hate to say. I am pro-open source, but I can complete a job in AP in a fraction of the time that it takes for GIMP. And that is with all of about three weeks experience with Affinity and fifteen years with GIMP.

Just saying.

Reactions: AppleSmack

argon2020

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2021
Just tried GIMP on my new M1 mini and it seems to run just fine. Not a pro, but for my purposes, I haven't encountered anything that can't be done well by GIMP and/or Blender.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
GIMP has finally been fixed for macOS 11 or later users! Not being able to see the selection outlines had severely crippled my ability to use GIMP, but now that's FINALLY fixed (along with some other issues, apprently, but ones that didn't affect me).

KeithCody

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2021
GIMP has finally been fixed for macOS 11 or later users! Not being able to see the selection outlines had severely crippled my ability to use GIMP, but now that's FINALLY fixed (along with some other issues, apprently, but ones that didn't affect me).

Hooray. Finally.

Reactions: usagora
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.