Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
I already own a pair of the APM but was checking local availability after reading an article of how supply is limited everywhere.
I noticed that Best Buy had an Open-Box Excellent pair of APM for only $460! So I purchased with the thought of gifting to a sibling and they arrived today.
As soon as I lifted them I noticed immediately that the ear cups were really loose. They had no tension like my blue APM. I’m not talking about the band but the swiveling ear cups. These turn left and right very easily, unlike my blue APM earcups which can basically hold in any position.
Other than that there isn’t anything really wrong with them but it got me thinking if this is considered defective or maybe the tension is slightly different due to the manufacturing process.

So for those that have the APM, do your earcups turn left and right easily or with some tension?
Even with a $100 discount I’d rather not spend money on something that is possibly close to breaking.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I already own a pair of the APM but was checking local availability after reading an article of how supply is limited everywhere.
I noticed that Best Buy had an Open-Box Excellent pair of APM for only $460! So I purchased with the thought of gifting to a sibling and they arrived today.
As soon as I lifted them I noticed immediately that the ear cups were really loose. They had no tension like my blue APM. I’m not talking about the band but the swiveling ear cups. These turn left and right very easily, unlike my blue APM earcups which can basically hold in any position.
Other than that there isn’t anything really wrong with them but it got me thinking if this is considered defective or maybe the tension is slightly different due to the manufacturing process.

So for those that have the APM, do your earcups turn left and right easily or with some tension?
Even with a $100 discount I’d rather not spend money on something that is possibly close to breaking.
They shouldn’t be really loose.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
It could be that your first pair is too tight, and the new pair is the way they should swivel :)

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

I noticed that too. The first one I picked up back in December was a bit loose and it somewhat swivels and I noticed that when I'm wearing it, as I turn my my head, the anc will not work depending on the direction my head is turning. I decided to pick up another one last week and it's more sturdy and when it's on my head and I turn my head, it does not lose anc. Weird.

Reactions: Antes

wwinter86

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2009
London
Mine when wearing them feel a little loose too, compared with Beats Studio 3 at least. No issue with ANC when moving my head though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.