Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your HDMI port tight enough to keep the cable firm?

• Total voters

Frank7f

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2016
I've noticed from recent usage that the HDMI port on the new MacBook Pro 14" 2021 is really loose with a cable in it. I mean even a gentle push or a curved cable will disconnect it when moving the Mac even slightly, since it angles. Then to pull it out of the port it requires close to 0 pull force, as if it wasn't really connected to the port. I think it's hard to make this pass as a design choice. What are your thoughts, is there someone with a different port experience?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do you have more than one HDMI cable?
If so, have you tried the others?
If so, do they exhibit the same performance? (i.e., "loose")

Frank7f

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2016
Do you have more than one HDMI cable?
If so, have you tried the others?
If so, do they exhibit the same performance? (i.e., "loose")
Obviously testing with multiple cables was the first thing I tried. needless to say it wasn't a cable issue. All cables get easily disconnected, or come loose. Seems mine will end up as a very faulty first batch unit ?. After the keyboard now this HDMI thing...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Are you within the return period?
Have you taken it to an Apple Store genius bar and demonstrated "the problem" to them?

Frank7f

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2016
Are you within the return period?
Have you taken it to an Apple Store genius bar and demonstrated "the problem" to them?
Nope, I got it when it launched. I will certainly take it to the AS to get it swapped, I've created this thread just to see how common it was, and if it was really a thing.

wassupdoodette

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2022
Is there any updates on when you took it to the AS? I took mine in for a loose HDMI port and they simply said that it was a design of the MBpro

Frank7f

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2016
Is there any updates on when you took it to the AS? I took mine in for a loose HDMI port and they simply said that it was a design of the MBpro
To be honest I haven't yet. I promise to update the thread as soon as I do it.

Frank7f

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2016
To be honest I haven't yet. I promise to update the thread as soon as I do it.
Finally brought to the AP. Sadly, they couldn't do anything since we also tested the exposed machines with different cables and they all behaved the same as mine (that is badly). If all recently shipped MacBooks have the same HDMI port as the exposed MacBooks and mine, the only conclusion is that the quality of the port is consistently bad. More probably though it varies from batch to batch.

Reactions: VaruLV

Ted939

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2007
San Diego, CA
I've noticed from recent usage that the HDMI port on the new MacBook Pro 14" 2021 is really loose with a cable in it. I mean even a gentle push or a curved cable will disconnect it when moving the Mac even slightly, since it angles. Then to pull it out of the port it requires close to 0 pull force, as if it wasn't really connected to the port. I think it's hard to make this pass as a design choice. What are your thoughts, is there someone with a different port experience?
I have the same problem with my 14" 2021 MacBook Pro. I've tried numerous cables, and those same cables DO fit secure/snug into other devices.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
That is disappointing to hear about HDMI port being a loose fit. I almost got this MBP and was thinking about it for the future.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
My HDMI cable does not seem particularly loose in my 14" MBP. But I did have to have the entire logic board replaced (under warranty) because originally the HDMI port was not working at all. The HDMI port cannot be replaced by itself (at least not by Apple).

Dave Pearce

macrumors member
May 9, 2020
Yep. Got my MBP 14 a few weeks ago and was surprised how loose the HDMI is. Its not going to fall out, and I can move the lid without any issues, but considering this is a premium, Apple product I thought it must be a fault.
Having Googled this I realise its not uncommon.
Tried various cables and some are worse than others. Not a deal breaker and im happy that it at least works and as long as I don't move the MBP too much its fine.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
It’s definitely too loose. Same issue at work and in the office. Tried various cables. Super easy to disconnect. I think the main issue is that it is a very shallow port.

Attachments

• 64ADDACF-E8E2-42FD-B8F1-E803EDC68288.jpeg
    64ADDACF-E8E2-42FD-B8F1-E803EDC68288.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 252

s00perd00per

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2022
Mine is pretty secure when connected. When I put in just the front tip of the cable it meets slight resistance and then I have to push in. It doesn't come off easily either and needs to be purposefully disconnected.

edgarvonk

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2022
I just bought a 2021 MacBook Pro 16" and have the exact same issue. In my case it does depend on the HDMI cable used but one of my HDMI cables is so loose that it loses connection when I move the MacBook just slightly. Other HDMI cables fit a lot tighter and don't come loose easily. I complained about this where I bought the MacBook (Coolblue.nl in my case) and they offered to swap it for another MacBook. Exact same issue however.. Really feels like a stupid design flaw from Apple if you ask me..

transphasic

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
I just bought a 2021 MacBook Pro 16" and have the exact same issue. In my case it does depend on the HDMI cable used but one of my HDMI cables is so loose that it loses connection when I move the MacBook just slightly. Other HDMI cables fit a lot tighter and don't come loose easily. I complained about this where I bought the MacBook (Coolblue.nl in my case) and they offered to swap it for another MacBook. Exact same issue however.. Really feels like a stupid design flaw from Apple if you ask me..
At first I was wondering why the cable doesn't snap into place like other computers, such as my work Dell laptop but it is possible that Apple might have been trying to built the port with some flex so pulling on the cable doesn't damage the port or connected interface, similar to the reasoning behind the mag power cable.

smfa

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2023
Just bought the new MBP with M2MAX and was very happy for the HDMI that my previous (intel) MBP was lacking. Connected an external monitor but the monitor was just blinking. Noticed that the HDMI was very loose. Bought a new cable and still the flickering. Used an USB-C dock with a HDMI port. HDMI cable fit snugly in that and no flickering.

A bit disappointing that when you buy a premium product (the 16-inch with the most powerful M2MAX is not cheap), a simple thing like an HDMI contact would be so bad. It is unusable for me and I will have to continue use the UCB-C dock.

Dave Pearce

macrumors member
May 9, 2020
Just bought the new MBP with M2MAX and was very happy for the HDMI that my previous (intel) MBP was lacking. Connected an external monitor but the monitor was just blinking. Noticed that the HDMI was very loose. Bought a new cable and still the flickering. Used an USB-C dock with a HDMI port. HDMI cable fit snugly in that and no flickering.

A bit disappointing that when you buy a premium product (the 16-inch with the most powerful M2MAX is not cheap), a simple thing like an HDMI contact would be so bad. It is unusable for me and I will have to continue use the UCB-C dock.
Since my last post ive only used a dock. cant bare to try and use the built in port unless I really have to.
It does seem to be the cheapest type they could find.

adzam016

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
I know this was a while ago now, but I agree. I am plugged into a monitor and find the port a bit naff, as the cable comes out easily. Best solution I found was to use a USB-C to HDMI adapter (make sure it supports the required refresh rate) or to use a USB-C to HDMI cable. This shouldn't really happen on a £2100 laptop lol!

dylanhome

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2023
I know this was a while ago now, but I agree. I am plugged into a monitor and find the port a bit naff, as the cable comes out easily. Best solution I found was to use a USB-C to HDMI adapter (make sure it supports the required refresh rate) or to use a USB-C to HDMI cable. This shouldn't really happen on a £2100 laptop lol!
Likewise but the 2023, M2 Maxed version (5k+!!). And still, with a ****** HDMI port, that means the slightest move of the cable and the monitor is gone. It seems that if this is a production quality issue at the board level, why not front up and supply a free USB-C to HDMI connector so I don't have to buy yet another piece?

Reactions: VaruLV
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.