Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickTuesday

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
So, as a Windows user, it seems Apple has made no provision for Computers on the Apple TV. If I install Music and TV as separate apps, iTunes is still there but sharing seems to be gone. Is Apple going to address this or is the Computer app on the Apple TV effectively dead? (At least for Windows users)
I might be doing something wrong; I know it did not work in beta, but I am surprised it still does not work now either.
If I uninstall the separate apps, then I can use Computers again.
Curious if on the Mac side if there is the same problem? I would guess not.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Not. I use Computers app more than any other AppleTV app, except Channels. But that is with media stored on Mac.

Maybe you have to wait on tvOS to "catch up" with the very recent split of iTunes into the separate apps on Windows too? I don't think there's been a tvOS update since that change, so maybe it will follow soon.

I checked this page on Apple.com and it suggests using Apple Music app and Apple TV app to access music & video content from your iTunes library. Whether that works with ripped content or not is the question. But if your music & video comes from purchases in the iTunes Store, those apps should handle that media just fine.

Per the Mac version, my guess is ripped content won't show but iTunes Store purchases will. So I probably wait for a tvOS upgrade and hope Computers is evolved to also work with the Windows side of these (split out) apps. Else, if I have a lot of ripped content, I go back to iTunes and/or perhaps buy a used Mini to take over the "central store" of household media task and serve it to AppleTVs around the home.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickTuesday

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
On a windows machine one also needs the Bonjour service to be running. On a Mac Bonjour is built in to OS.

NickTuesday

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
On a windows machine one also needs the Bonjour service to be running. On a Mac Bonjour is built in to OS.
Wow!!! It's been a long time since I remember seeing Bonjour. When I had an Airport, I could see it in control panel/install-uninstall. It seemed to be an automatic install with Itunes I believe. Now its well-hidden, even a search of Windows does not show it.

NickTuesday

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Did finding and running Bonjour get it working with the new Windows (split up) apps?
I actually can't find it on Windows. I assume it got swallowed up into something else and was re-named. Trying to find it online, I found the SDK, which is probably more than I need, but nothing official from Apple.

Last edited:

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Try with this tool if home sharing service is advertised and discoverable on your local network. PS image is from my iPhone, not windows Bonjour Browser. But service you are looking for is _home-sharing._tcp.
IMG_2983.png

NickTuesday

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Try with this tool if home sharing service is advertised and discoverable on your local network. PS image is from my iPhone, not windows Bonjour Browser. But service you are looking for is _home-sharing._tcp. View attachment 2349765

Thanks, but no luck, I just get a spinning icon. I guess as someone mentioned, Apple may include a fix in a future update. I am sure Windows is not a priority for them. LOL!!! I can always uninstall the separate Apps for the time being, so no big deal, hopefully it's not something Apple intends to kill for Windows users.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Take a look at plex, it basically sets up your own personal streaming service

sometimes people have small problems with file names, but otherwise it's pretty simple

For Movies, make a folder called movies, put your movies in it. files should be named "ghostbusters.mkv" or "ghostbusters (1984).mkv)" for best results.
For TV shows, in the main TV folder make a folder with each of your show names, then inside that folder you can do what you want. you can make individual folders for each season or just pile all the episodes in the show folders. and as long as the file has "S01E01" in the title it should find it.
It will index all of your movies, and TV shows. and pull descriptions and personnel and everything from the web.
You can also add "personal media", and it will just use file names, and not pull anything from the web.

install the plex server on your computer, create library sections, and point them at their respective folders.

install the plex client on your devices, its available for aTV, iOS, android, most smartTVs, pretty much anything that has a Netflix app will have a plex app. and you can also use a browser. You can also stop something on your aTV, and pick it up on your phone.

It should play anything you throw at it. If the player hardware can't play it, the server should transcode it into something that the player can use (will need a decent processor on the server)
you can also log into your plex remotely, and if your internet connection can handle the upload, you can watch your library anywhere. It will even down convert to a lower resolution if you're hitting a bandwidth problem.
you can also share your library with friends, and they can watch from anywhere.

There is a subscription for a fee that add additional features. but basic streaming should be available without it.

NickTuesday

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
^
My brother set my parents up with Plex. Basically, they can watch any movies he has acquired on his account. Pretty wild.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you can setup plex at your place, and share back and forth with your brother. and also you can share with your parents.
he should be able to walk you through setting up the server

You don't have to share everything with everyone. You can pick who can access which libraries, and you can also filter, so people can only see movies with certain tags, or nothing over PG-13.

You can use the "personal media" to share things like videos of the grandkids, or family gatherings.

there are also some devices that can act as plex servers so you don't need a PC on all the time. for example, some Synology storage devices allow you to install plex. They don't have the most powerful processor, so you may not be able to transcode things.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Plex client on tvOS, however, is not the best user experience in my opinion.
I have even given up to follow their version updates. Maybe they have come closer to tvOS UI standards, instead of creating their own.
I use Infuse exclusively as my Plex client.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I keep an "old" iMac running Mojave as a Homesharing media server, using iTunes. It still works well with the latest tvOS and the Computers app. This includes content purchased from Apple and ripped media files. It is tedious to add the latter to the iTunes library but once this is done they can be streamed to the Apple TV.
So ... if you are able to keep iTunes running on a PC I expect it will continue to work with the Computers app on an Apple TV running the latest tvOS.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.