Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
I know this may sound like a stupid question but what are the exact steps to take if you lose your iPhone/iPhone gets stolen.

I just took out Apple Care Plus Theft and Loss for my new 14 Pro Max. I have read that AIG (who deal with the theft and loss) can be a headache to deal with so I want to make sure I know what to do if the unfortunate was to happen...

I am guessing the first thing I would do is call my network provider to block my SIM card? I have Find My iPhone enabled, so is there anything I need to do on Apple's end?

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017

Start there.
Lol I know that

What I mean is with things like 'find my iPhone'.I read that you have to show proof that you tried to look for the phone etc..
Just making sure I know what to do.

Also how can you sign in with your Apple ID if your phone is lost? Most Apple ID have 2FA where they will send a code to your phone...how will that work if your phone is lost?

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Also how can you sign in with your Apple ID if your phone is lost? Most Apple ID have 2FA where they will send a code to your phone...how will that work if your phone is lost?

Verification code sent to your registered mobile number.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
Verification code sent to your registered mobile number.
How would I have access to it when my phone is lost, that is what I am confused about. The SIM card will be in the phone...
If I have to order another SIM card, it will take a couple of days to come from my mobile provider...?

Hele

macrumors regular
May 14, 2022
Rhode Island
I read that you have to show proof that you tried to look for the phone etc..
I don’t know that you really have to show proof that you looked for it. You just can’t have it in your house as an extra or give it to a friend and claim it’s gone. With FindMy they’re gonna know. 😃

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
I don’t know that you really have to show proof that you looked for it. You just can’t have it in your house as an extra or give it to a friend and claim it’s gone. With FindMy they’re gonna know. 😃
Of course not
I have never lost my phone and I pray I never do. I just took out Apple Care incase because I live in London and travel by public transport so I feel I am at greater risk of getting pick pocketed etc..if I was always driving everywhere I wouldn't even take out Apple Care insurance tbh.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
How would I have access to it when my phone is lost, that is what I am confused about. The SIM card will be in the phone...
If I have to order another SIM card, it will take a couple of days to come from my mobile provider...?

Yes, you order a new SIM card or have another trusted device to get codes on.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Good choice! I love mine, and I’ve had it only about three months.
15 max will be same weight as 14 pro likely, big difference.
My 14 pro is 5 months old but I didn't pay anywhere near retail for it.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Lol I know that

What I mean is with things like 'find my iPhone'.I read that you have to show proof that you tried to look for the phone etc..
Just making sure I know what to do.

I hadn’t used it in awhile — thankfully, no need — but did a test. I have 2FA enabled on my account and no verification was required. If it matters, I used Safari on my Mac.

You do receive an alert via email:
Dear <person_name>,

Your Apple ID (<email_address>) was used to sign in to iCloud via a web browser.

Date and Time: August 17, 2023, 7:20 AM PDT

If the information above looks familiar, you can ignore this message.

If you have not signed in to iCloud recently and believe someone may have accessed your account, go to Apple ID (https://appleid.apple.com) and change your password as soon as possible.

Apple Support
I’ve redacted my personal info, of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.