Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hello.

I have noticed that on macOS, even when an album is clearly marked as lossless, whenever I start playing a track, the lossless version doesn't start until I quit and reopen Apple Music.

Here's an example:

I open apple music and you can clearly see this album is available in lossless:

Screenshot 2021-06-12 at 06.55.17.png
I start playing it and I see no lossless icon on the right side:

Screenshot 2021-06-12 at 06.55.29.png
I quit and reopen Apple Music and low and behold, there's the lossless logo (it also seem like the quality of the track is better)

Screenshot 2021-06-12 at 06.56.23.png

If I had to reset Apple Music just once, it wouldn't be so bad, but the same thing keeps happening with subsequent tracks.

I'm on macOS 11.14 on an M1 Mac Mini.
I'm currently using my external audio interface as a DAC (Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen), planning on getting a purpose-made DAC very soon)
Is anyone experiencing anything similar?

I'm pretty sure Apple still has to iron out the bugs, but I was wondering if any of you had this problem.
On my iPhone the situation seems to be better.

I'm an Apple One subscriber, by the way.

Thanks.

Kier-XF

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2014
Next time you find it happening, stop playback and hit the big
1623794414335.png
button under the album title, then use the skip/back controls to navigate to the track you want rather than clicking any track directly.

Does this solve the issue?

mattdeezy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Next time you find it happening, stop playback and hit the big View attachment 1793775 button under the album title, then use the skip/back controls to navigate to the track you want rather than clicking any track directly.

Does this solve the issue?
It doesn't fix the issue for me. Atmos on MacOS almost never works for me. So I just use my phone now.

Kier-XF

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2014
It doesn't fix the issue for me. Atmos on MacOS almost never works for me. So I just use my phone now.
Assuming you have the Dolby Atmos = Always on setting, what happens if you plug regular 3.5mm stereo headphones into your Mac and do the same? What Mac model are you using?

mattdeezy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Assuming you have the Dolby Atmos = Always on setting, what happens if you plug regular 3.5mm stereo headphones into your Mac and do the same? What Mac model are you using?
"Dolby Always on" is activated and using airpod pro's. I haven't tried 3.5mm headphones. I'm on a M1 MacBook Pro on 11.5 Beta (20G5042c) (latest 11.5 beta). It did not work on previous beta either, I just updated today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.