Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpearman2007

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Hey All,

I have a 2016 13" MBP (non-touchbar), and I'm having what I perceive as battery issues. As the title mentions, I've lost 45% off my battery in the last 90 mins. I began my day with 85% (which it had dropped from 100% while supposedly sleeping over the past 1.5 days,) and now I'm at 38%. All of my usage in the past 90 mins has been web browser based, or on Slack. I'm using FF for my browser, I probably had 10-15 tabs open, but only actively used half or less of them in this session. According to system information and coconut battery, the capacity is just under 90%, so that seems fine. I've verified I have the power nap disabled in energy saver preferences as well. I wasn't streaming anything, no Spotify etc., running in the background. Something has got to be running while its asleep as well, as I mentioned above it lost 15% just sitting in my bag for ~36hrs.

Does anyone think perhaps reinstalling the OS would help, or could it be another issue?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The website could be using a lot of CPU uptime, it’s not uncommon these days. You can verify by checking activity monitor stats.

Reactions: AppleHaterLover

dpearman2007

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
The website could be using a lot of CPU uptime, it’s not uncommon these days. You can verify by checking activity monitor stats.

That could be a thing, however 99% of my usage is via salesforce, which is of course quite a large company and if there were a CPU uptime issue I think it would have surfaced by now. Not counting it out for sure, but I'll dig online to see if anyone else has noticed anything correlated to SFDC usage.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Are you checking your stats in Activity Monitor? That will tell you which apps are using your battery.

Reactions: jerryk

dpearman2007

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Are you checking your stats in Activity Monitor? That will tell you which apps are using your battery.

Yep that's what I have been using to check on things. Shortly after making this thread yesterday I quit FF and began using Chrome. I had used Chrome in the past, but stopped as that was back on my old work computer which was an Air with only 4GB of RAM. We all know how much of a RAM hog chrome can be, but now on a MBP with 16GB of RAM, I'm not as worried. Anyway, I started using it and I think its gotten better. I'm at 100% now just starting my day, so it'll be easy to see if I lose the same ~45% in the next 90 mins or so. Assuming I don't, then I'll try an uninstall and reinstall of FF as that would in theory throw the high CPU usage of Salesforce out the window if it wasn't happening on chrome.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Shortly after making this thread yesterday I quit FF and began using Chrome.

Chrome is a battery pig, so doubtful switching to that would make anything better. Slack, being Electron-based, is also a pig.

You don't offer any historical that would make this utilization be anything other than normal. This consumption would give you 3-4 hours of battery life, I find that normal on a 5 year old laptop.

dpearman2007

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Chrome is a battery pig, so doubtful switching to that would make anything better. Slack, being Electron-based, is also a pig.

You don't offer any historical that would make this utilization be anything other than normal. This consumption would give you 3-4 hours of battery life, I find that normal on a 5 year old laptop.

I lost 45% in under 90 mins, which means more than 1% every 2 mins- that seems quite steep to me. The laptop is a 2016 MBP, so not sure where you got the 5 year old part...

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I lost 45% in under 90 mins, which means more than 1% every 2 mins- that seems quite steep to me. The laptop is a 2016 MBP, so not sure where you got the 5 year old part...

All depends what the site is doing. Javascript run in the browser can really eat cycles. If Salesforce makes heavy use to this that is going to kill your battery. Things like graphs and big tables can be very expensive to create, sort, filter, etc. in javascript.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Yep that's what I have been using to check on things. Shortly after making this thread yesterday I quit FF and began using Chrome. I had used Chrome in the past, but stopped as that was back on my old work computer which was an Air with only 4GB of RAM. We all know how much of a RAM hog chrome can be, but now on a MBP with 16GB of RAM, I'm not as worried. Anyway, I started using it and I think its gotten better. I'm at 100% now just starting my day, so it'll be easy to see if I lose the same ~45% in the next 90 mins or so. Assuming I don't, then I'll try an uninstall and reinstall of FF as that would in theory throw the high CPU usage of Salesforce out the window if it wasn't happening on chrome.

I guess I'm not sure why you're keeping the information secret :)

I would perform the same SFDC tasks in both FF and Chrome and see how the CPU, memory, and power, are depreciated. I think the best thing to do would be to define a specific set of tasks, then charge the Macbook to 100%, then perform the tasks and monitor it as you go. Then change back to 100% and repeat with the second browser.

But ultimately, it should be quite apparent in Activity Monitor regardless. You should be able to see which tasks are hammering your battery, memory, and CPU through there. I have been surprised how often a runway tab can take over. Often a tab that I thought would be idle, ie, not the one I'm actually using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.