Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warriorpluto2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2023
I went to change my passcode on my phone and there was some glitch I put in my birthday cause it's the same code I use on all my phones. At first it said the passwords didn't match but then it went through after the code verification . After that I couldn't log in with my passcode. Was a glitch in the system and I seen other posts from others forums with the same thing happening to them. All of my anniversary pictures and photo shoot gone. Two years worth of data destroyed. And I won't be buying some stupid subscription. I believe apple does this on purpose and this is unacceptable for an nearly $2000 phone. I won't let it happen again. I even had customers with the same problem through the years and it seems apple hasn't gotten it right yet. It will be a lesson to always backup data on an computer and external storage device at the end of every month. Won't waste money on a subscription. Samsung will always be better at preserving data. And before you say I might have made a mistake. I didn't. I was really surprised this happened to me. Apple should make it that you can recover your days through other means instead of just deleting the whole freaking phone. It's stupid.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Yeah doesn't matter if it's MS, Apple, Google, or Samsung, etc - I trust no one. I manage my photo library (and other data) manually

In addition to the main copy, I have my data backed up incrementally to an enterprise-grade external drive, which remains disconnected from both power and the system. (I had power surges take out electronics last year so NAS is not a solution for me)

The data is also mirrored(round robin) via rsync (no proprietary backup formats) to two separate backup drives and planning to keep one drive at work.

The current working set is synced to dropbox (free account) and the archives are pushed manually into onedrive for my offsite backup.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
First of all I wouldn’t take anymore pictures on that phone. I don’t know if Apple makes the whole thing a real format or just not searchable but still there. I honestly don’t know.

But you could talk to some repair people and find out if they ever got photos back. There are services that recapture data but usually PC stuff. Anyway I would not give up yet, but don’t overwrite data by taking more photos. Also, is it just the phone or iCloud. What subscription? In other words Apple may still have the photos. They still do backups I’m sure.

Silly me as I always download my photos to a computer and upload some to two servers I have and pay for.

You maybe SOL anyway, but good luck and tell us what the final outcome was.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've never had this happen, but if it ever did - I'm not out anything.

I simply don't invest in Apple's ecosystem in a way where losing something will cost me.

Emails are IMAP
Contacts/Calendars are Google
Photos are Dropbox/Google/iCloud. Dropbox autouploads, which ends up on all my computers using Dropbox, which then get backed up to my NAS.
Notes are Google
Books are Google
Messages are SMS/iCloud - but none of that matters as anything important is discussed face to face, never via message

I don't rely (solely) on Apple and my iCloud use is primarily for convenience rather than backup.

Reactions: arkitect

TwitchyPuppy

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2016
Canada
I went to change my passcode on my phone and there was some glitch I put in my birthday cause it's the same code I use on all my phones. At first it said the passwords didn't match but then it went through after the code verification . After that I couldn't log in with my passcode. Was a glitch in the system and I seen other posts from others forums with the same thing happening to them. All of my anniversary pictures and photo shoot gone. Two years worth of data destroyed. And I won't be buying some stupid subscription. I believe apple does this on purpose and this is unacceptable for an nearly $2000 phone. I won't let it happen again. I even had customers with the same problem through the years and it seems apple hasn't gotten it right yet. It will be a lesson to always backup data on an computer and external storage device at the end of every month. Won't waste money on a subscription. Samsung will always be better at preserving data. And before you say I might have made a mistake. I didn't. I was really surprised this happened to me. Apple should make it that you can recover your days through other means instead of just deleting the whole freaking phone. It's stupid.

Did you try the PIN code you had before changing it?

Reactions: brucemr

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I’ve lost data before and know how much it sucks. But none of the services, I’ve found, are perfect. iCloud isn’t a backup service and I’ve found a solution that works well for me.

All of my data is backed up to my NAS. I use an app that automatically uploads my photos to my NAS and all of my documents on my computer are saved to my NAS. Every night a backup of my NAS is run that saves all the data to an external hard drive at home, a hard drive at my office, and a cloud backup. So far so good.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
You choose not to make a backup of your important files,
then you made an account just to complain about your own faults.

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
Makes poor choice, blames everyone but himself. You live in a digital world and if you don’t want to lose data you need to back it up.

Why is this forum riddled with these types of posts? Newbie rants that are only heard from once and disappear. It’s very strange.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
So, to sum things up. You kept all your photos on your phone and didn't back it up?

I'm very sorry you lost your photos, but you only have yourself to blame.

Back-ups are essential, no matter what hardware you are using. Think of it as "insurance". This is how I explained it to my mother-in-law when she initially refused to spend just $30 on a Synology cloud back-up.

As a bare minimum, I keep two back-ups of my photos. I use iCloud and Adobe Cloud, and each year create a "cold-storage back-up". I buy a new pen drive and copy all my photos from that year into the drive and I store it away. (I have 9 of them now).

The Moral of this story. Back-up.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I’ve lost data before and know how much it sucks. But none of the services, I’ve found, are perfect. iCloud isn’t a backup service and I’ve found a solution that works well for me.

All of my data is backed up to my NAS. I use an app that automatically uploads my photos to my NAS and all of my documents on my computer are saved to my NAS. Every night a backup of my NAS is run that saves all the data to an external hard drive at home, a hard drive at my office, and a cloud backup. So far so good.
I'm much like you. Everything goes nightly to my NAS (all the computers at home). Only difference is that my weekly backups go up to Dropbox. That gives me an offsite backup. I'm using Carbon Copy Cloner (not Time Machine) so all the backups are in disk images that can be moved wherever I want/need them.

My single PC doesn't change much (it's not used much) so it only has a weekly backup straight to Dropbox.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom

OP, if this genuinely happened, then commiserations. It's a ****** situation to deal with.

However, by now, surely every reasonably computer literate person has heard of the importance of doing backups.
This is 101 level.

Learn from this and try to move on.

I have iCloud as well as Google Drive with a hard drive computer based backup.

My photos are especially important to me. I hate to think of losing them… it is an archive of my life with the earliest photos dating back to 1963… (scanned obviously!)
Every month I take the time to drag my Apple Photos folder to two different back up drives. If **** hits the fan I lose 30 days worth of pics. *shrug* I sleep better at night.

Sorry for your loss, but so we learn.

Samsung will always be better at preserving data.
Ah…OK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Keep backups! I backup my phone to iCloud and to my Mac, and my Mac has two rotating Time Machine backups that I rotate monthly. One stays at home and the other at work locked in my desk.

Samsung will always be better at preserving data.

Girlfriend lost everything with her s8 a couple years ago and we never figured out why considering her phone was still functional and all her apps were still installed and working. She won't touch an android other than the Pixel now.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I went to change my passcode on my phone and there was some glitch...
What if you lost your phone, or dropped it, and it broke, or it was stolen? There are 1,000 ways to lose the data on your phone.

Apple offers to keep a copy of your data in iCloud that is always up-to-date and can't be lost or stolen. If you are a cheapskate and refuse to pay for that service, then it is on you to provide the service yourself. Don't blame Apple, they make is really easy to back up data.

The bottom line is that you should always assume the data on your phone might be gone at any time. Once, I left my phone on the roof of my car and drove to work. Yes I was stupid, but we all do dumb things. BTW, I got the phone back, someone found it on the road a half mile from my house, and it had not yet been run over. No one ever expects to lose data.

Yes, it does cost me $1 per month for a 50 GB of iCloud space. But I figure $1 worth it in terms of conveyance.

Reactions: arkitect

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Samsung will always be better at preserving data. And before you say I might have made a mistake. I didn't.
Your mistake was to not back up your data. You made a mistake and now you're paying for it. Making silly outlandish statements like this will destroy any credibility you hope to build here.

Agree with @ovbacon and @Sorinut and @arkitect ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.