Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Please help.

I received my new iPhone 6 Plus yesterday, and did a restore from iTunes backup of my iPhone 5 last night.

Both iPhones were at iOS 8.0.

Now, I only see single apps across all the screens.

No folders of apps.

I have hundreds of apps, one folder for each city I travel to, etc.

How can I get my folders back and filled with the apps they used to contain, without manually re-creating each folder? That will take forever :(, whether I manually do it in iTunes or manually on the phone.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
Restore from your back-up again. And don't touch the iPhone while it's restoring. Not even from the Welcome screen after the first reboot. Just let it finishing restoring.

Big Dawg 23

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Minnesota
No issues for me on setting up from my iCloud to my 6 Plus no issues. I was even shocked it downloaded all the music in the play lists that I had on my iPhone 5. I would erase and try again.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
No.

Even if it were, how would that cause this problem ?

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Thank you MJedi!

Restore from your back-up again. And don't touch the iPhone while it's restoring. Not even from the Welcome screen after the first reboot. Just let it finishing restoring.
This worked perfectly !

Thanks so much !

Would you happen to be able to make use of a iPad Mini v1 Apple cover in light blue?
If yes, PM me your mailing address.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
This worked perfectly !

Thanks so much !

Would you happen to be able to make use of a iPad Mini v1 Apple cover in light blue?
If yes, PM me your mailing address.

I'm glad I was able to help.

As for the cover, I don't need one. Thanks.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Interestingly, I just restored one iPhone 6 backup to another iPhone 6, both on iOS 11.2.5, and this happened to me. I DID NOT TOUCH THE PHONE while it restored over night, and plugged it into iTunes after only a couple of steps that took me to the "setup as new vs restore from iTunes screen".

I only picked it up this AM to finish entering my Apple ID passwords and fingerprint, and answering all the question about location serviced, adding the CVV code for my cards in the wallet, or sharing diagnostics with apple and developers. I was finally dumped into the home screen to see the mess.

I didn't get to see the 200 apps were not all in their folders until after I wasted my time setting things up when I woke it up. Hate that I have to start over.
[doublepost=1517510729][/doublepost]So, just in case, I hit the sync button, and it's syncing 59 more apps, which makes me think the re-store had aborted at some point and didn't finish. But all my music, movies, and other info was restored. After this sync, if things don't move to where they belong I'll have to wipe it again :-(
[doublepost=1517510938][/doublepost]Just found this - https://lifehacker.com/5802774/restore-your-iphone-without-losing-your-homescreen-organization

"What Dan discovered is that after you perform this first restore and sync your phone, you can perform a second restore that doesn't wipe your phone. This will restore your homescreen organization back to its former glory."

PS: Last night I did wait for iTunes to say "restore complete" and until after it had rebooted and actually had started to sync a few apps before I went to bed, so the abort happened during the sync not the re-store of the data and settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: MareLuce

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Wow this topic brings back nightmares! :mad: (I’ve probably had 4 “brick” experiences during upgrades.)

Thanks HeadphoneAddict for posting your experience and solution you found. :)

Tangent related to your forum name:

I received the new Bose Soundwear for Christmas
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bose-s...ffcode=pg266953&ksdevice=t&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

When I saw the box, I thought, ‘huh’ ?

But I totally love them for listening to music or podcasts while exercising or just puttering around the house going from room to room. The sound is perfect no matter where I am without having to stick something in or against my ears. I forget they are there.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Wow this topic brings back nightmares! :mad: (I’ve probably had 4 “brick” experiences during upgrades.)

Thanks HeadphoneAddict for posting your experience and solution you found. :)

Tangent related to your forum name:

I received the new Bose Soundwear for Christmas
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bose-s...ffcode=pg266953&ksdevice=t&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

When I saw the box, I thought, ‘huh’ ?

But I totally love them for listening to music or podcasts while exercising or just puttering around the house going from room to room. The sound is perfect no matter where I am without having to stick something in or against my ears. I forget they are there.

I really didn’t think restoring again on top of a previous restore would fix the issue, but it really did. I didn’t have to renter all my iCloud passwords or setup my Apple Wallet again, or anything as I feared doing if I wiped and restored again from scratch.

Those Bose look interesting, and maybe when the price drops I’ll consider them. But for the same price I bought a pair of V-MODA Crossfade wireless II last fall, and after 80-100 hours of breaking them in I’m pretty impressed with the bang for the buck. But yeah, they do cover my ears unlike the Bose, but they’re very comfortable and block sound in noisy environments. My most expensive headphones cost $3000.00, and I have about 50 different sets of all prices, as well as a ton of DACs and Amps.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Those Bose look interesting, and maybe when the price drops I’ll consider them. [...] I have about 50 different sets of all prices, as well as a ton of DACs and Amps
Wow! You definitely would find a place in your heart / head for this pair. I had them on for 3 hours last night while on the elliptical and then puttering around the house. I love walking around with consistent sound and nothing to hold to.

The other thing I thought of last night while listening to a podcast - it makes the podcast experience feel more intimate.

They create a different niche in the headphone sector.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Wow! You definitely would find a place in your heart / head for this pair. I had them on for 3 hours last night while on the elliptical and then puttering around the house. I love walking around with consistent sound and nothing to hold to.

The other thing I thought of last night while listening to a podcast - it makes the podcast experience feel more intimate.

They create a different niche in the headphone sector.

I wonder how a pair of small BT speakers sewn into a long sock, to hang over my shoulders, would sound? I have a couple of mini-jam box that might be fun to play with in linked mode. But they’d weigh more than the Bose. :p

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
No silly goose :). :p (I have a couple mini jam boxes too!)

I swear the Bose Soundwear feel weightless! I could forget they are there, except it sounds like someone is following me around the house right next to me singing a song / speaking a podcast to just me! Without having to stick anything in or on my delicate ears ;).

I don't mean fidelity in the sense of purity of sound quality (You are the expert on that; not me)...
It's fidelity in the sense of real-ness... like someone is really right there talking to me.

I hope enough people buy these so that Bose keeps developing this model. I haven't seen many (any?) people talking about them :(.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
No silly goose :). :p (I have a couple mini jam boxes too!)

I swear the Bose Soundwear feel weightless! I could forget they are there, except it sounds like someone is following me around the house right next to me singing a song / speaking a podcast to just me! Without having to stick anything in or on my delicate ears ;).

I don't mean fidelity in the sense of purity of sound quality (You are the expert on that; not me)...
It's fidelity in the sense of real-ness... like someone is really right there talking to me.

I hope enough people buy these so that Bose keeps developing this model. I haven't seen many (any?) people talking about them :(.

Well I just blew my Bose budget on a 43" 4K Smart UHD TV for the bedroom today, so...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.