Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave Pearce

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2020
I’ve been using Sonoma 14.1 beta 1 for a while on my MBP M1 14”.
Last night i updates to beta 2 and, well im in a bit of a mess.
I’ve only been using a Mac for just over a year, so not familiar with recovery processes, or at least not sure what route to take.
Basically, all my 3rd party apps have gone, but the space is still being used by them. I haven’t lost any documents or personal stuff, just the apps.
I do have backups with Time Machine so i could do a full restore, but can’t from within the OS as migration app complains about the drive being locked if i launch it from within the os. I can’t get it to give me the option at boot up, but might be song that wrong.

It’s like there are two accounts on the Mac, both in my name but not showing the same apps. I have checked and there is only one though.

Should i just wipe and start again or is there a way of sorting this out?

Please, i know the risks of using a beta, but this is done and i just need to move forward. Lesson learnt.

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
the apps are not in the applications folder?

people here should have some ideas, but i'd call apple. i know you're on a beta, but they might help (i got help a few years ago when running a beta). good luck with this, and at least your stuff is there 👍

Reactions: Dave Pearce

Dave Pearce

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2020
That’s the strange thing. They aren’t in the Applications folder, but are taking up the same amount of space as they were before the update. It’s like I’m in a different account, but it still has all my other settings etc.
I feel if i copy them all across from Time machine, or re install them then I’ll loose a lot more space.

Thanks. I might give Apple a call but i feel it’s quicker to just start again of thats possible.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
That’s the strange thing. They aren’t in the Applications folder, but are taking up the same amount of space as they were before the update. It’s like I’m in a different account, but it still has all my other settings etc.
I feel if i copy them all across from Time machine, or re install them then I’ll loose a lot more space.

Thanks. I might give Apple a call but i feel it’s quicker to just start again of thats possible.
you've rebooted? anyway, the info you're getting from 'storage settings>applications" may simply not have updated. but odd that you're back to the default apple apps. anyway, see what others here suggest...

Dave Pearce

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2020
you've rebooted? anyway, the info you're getting from 'storage settings>applications" may simply not have updated. but odd that you're back to the default apple apps. anyway, see what others here suggest...
Thanks. Yeah, rebooted a few times.
It’s not just the default apps, it’s Apple apps. I still have Logic Pro and anything I’ve downloaded from the App Store.
Strangely Lightroom loads ok but i can’t find where it’s installed.
I think a clean start will be the best option, other wise i might end up with files after all over the place.

lonesoul

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2007
Are you sure you're not trying to access your applications via /Users/(name)/Application instead of /Applications

Your application are not stored on your user folder.

edit: e.g. Open Finder, press CMD + SHIFT + G, type in /Applications and hit enter can you see your applications there?

Last edited:

Dave Pearce

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2020
Are you sure you're not trying to access your applications via /Users/(name)/Application instead of /Applications

Your application are not stored on your user folder.

edit: e.g. Open Finder, press CMD + SHIFT + G, type in /Applications and hit enter can you see your applications there?
No, I’ve looked in both. All the applications that i had alias’s for are just question marks. The folder they should all be in just has all the Apple apps. The other folder is empty.
Even launch pad doesn’t have these apps.
Any folders that were outside the Applications folder is also still there. It’s like the applications are invisible.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
why are you using aliases for apps? is this on the desktop, or in the dock?

click on an alias, hit command-R; it should reveal the location of the app the alias represents...

Dave Pearce

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2020
why are you using aliases for apps? is this on the desktop, or in the dock?

click on an alias, hit command-R; it should reveal the location of the app the alias represents...
Yes, i meant in the dock. Although they are showing as a ?, if i hover over them i do get the name of the app come up. If i try and run them i get an error that the installed application is corrupt.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Yes, i meant in the dock. Although they are showing as a ?, if i hover over them i do get the name of the app come up. If i try and run them i get an error that the installed application is corrupt.
something damaged in the install perhaps? anyway, if you're confident you're all backed up, and know what you need.. i guess an OS reinstall might work. keep us posted 👍

Dave Pearce

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2020
Just wanted to report back, and say ive found out whats going on.
There seems to be a copy of the system, made when i updated the OS.
This is called Previous system, and has a few folders, including the Application folder in it. Most dont work so ill need to reinstall them, but im glad i wasn’t imagining the extra space being used.

Thanks for the replies.

Reactions: fisherking
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.