Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
My wife uses 2 and only 2 email-addresses. When she needs her Apple ID for her iPad IOS 8 Apple says that she is using the wrong password. When she tries to reset the password Apple says that no such email-address is known to it. When she tries to create a new ID Apple says that those email-addresses are already in use. Sorry if this post is in the wrong forum !

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
My wife uses 2 and only 2 email-addresses. When she needs her Apple ID for her iPad IOS 8 Apple says that she is using the wrong password. When she tries to reset the password Apple says that no such email-address is known to it. When she tries to create a new ID Apple says that those email-addresses are already in use. Sorry if this post is in the wrong forum !
I had no idea that the question was so hard !

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I had no idea that the question was so hard !

Well, none of us have access to Apple's servers so it's hard to answer. You didn't say when the last successful login was or if log in works on other devices. What if she tries to log in to iTunes on the computer? How about iCloud via web?

I assume you've gone to https://appleid.apple.com/ to try to resolve? If that didn't work, you probably need to contact Apple Support directly to have them take a look at the back end.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
MWhen she tries to reset the password Apple says that no such email-address is known to it. When she tries to create a new ID Apple says that those email-addresses are already in use.
When you manage an Apple ID, you can associate an "alternate email addresses" with it.

IIRC, when you do that, the situation you typed above applies.

You can't create a new Apple ID with an "alternate email address" (it'll tell you that it's in use), and you can't reset the password for it (since it's an "alternate email address", not an actual Apple ID).

On her iPad, if she goes into Settings > iCloud, is the Apple ID listed there the one she's using when she tries to reset the password? Also, she could be using a different Apple ID in Settings > iTunes & App Store, so it's going to depend on what she's doing when the iPad asks her for the password as to which Apple ID applies (if she's using more than one Apple ID on her iPad).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.