Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rajnikanth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
1. I lost all my contacts and pictures from the "mad" ios5 upgrade today?
Can I downgrade to ios 4 and get back my data, even if means to do it by jailbreaking.

2.Also, where are the pictures and contacts stored. I have a backup file on the my windows PC with todays date and time ~ 3.5gb. The apple rep says it is an xml file and does not have the data. If the files are stored on "My Pictures", I dont see them. If the contacts are on the Microsoft outlook, they are not there. I have not changed any settings and I did many upgrades before without loosing the data.

Can some one help please?

thanks
raj.

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
1. I lost all my contacts and pictures from the "mad" ios5 upgrade today?
Can I downgrade to ios 4 and get back my data, even if means to do it by jailbreaking.

2.Also, where are the pictures and contacts stored. I have a backup file on the my windows PC with todays date and time ~ 3.5gb. The apple rep says it is an xml file and does not have the data. If the files are stored on "My Pictures", I dont see them. If the contacts are on the Microsoft outlook, they are not there. I have not changed any settings and I did many upgrades before without loosing the data.

Can some one help please?

thanks
raj.

I'm having a similar issues. I along with many others have lost our pictures/videos from the camera roll after the update to iOS5.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Do another restore from your most recent backup. This worked for me and others. Sometimes doing a restore by right clicking on the device in iTunes and choosing "Restore from backup" will allow you to choose a specific backup.

You don't need to downgrade to IOS 4.x

rajnikanth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I did one backup restore yesterday, without any change. It is asking me to chose to pick up from the backup with the correct date and time of the backup file. When I try to choose that, it asks me the password for the backup file, which I used many months ago ( and I do not remember it). I punched in some of my old passwords. I get a response saying that the restore failed because the backup failed. If the password was incorrect, then it should say, that the password is incorrect, however, it is saying something different. Now, when I called the apple rep, he says, the backup file is only an xml file without actual data. The data is usually stored in "Mypictures" for pictures, outlook contacts for contacts , both the above on my pc. In both the above, I checked and found no pictures or contacts on my pc. I am not sure, if the backup file stores the data elsewhere. This problem did not happen before, and I did not change the settings. So, why would anything be different now?

thanks for your help.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

When the upgrade finished on my iPhone my contacts list was blank at first. They all came back after a little while.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I also lost my contacts but no big deal since I backed up everything. Contacts never came back either..

dothy

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
after i upgraded to ios5, same as everyone, all my contacts, messages, pictures are gone. cany anyone help how to restore it?

i already tried to restore back up but it does not accept all my passwords.

----------

I'm having a similar issues. I along with many others have lost our pictures/videos from the camera roll after the update to iOS5.

are u able to get back all the lost data? like photos and contacts?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I did one backup restore yesterday, without any change. It is asking me to chose to pick up from the backup with the correct date and time of the backup file. When I try to choose that, it asks me the password for the backup file, which I used many months ago ( and I do not remember it). I punched in some of my old passwords. I get a response saying that the restore failed because the backup failed. If the password was incorrect, then it should say, that the password is incorrect, however, it is saying something different. Now, when I called the apple rep, he says, the backup file is only an xml file without actual data. The data is usually stored in "Mypictures" for pictures, outlook contacts for contacts , both the above on my pc. In both the above, I checked and found no pictures or contacts on my pc. I am not sure, if the backup file stores the data elsewhere. This problem did not happen before, and I did not change the settings. So, why would anything be different now?

thanks for your help.

The solution: remember your password.

rupe45

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
Lost Photos, iTunes, iOS 5, password

There is something wrong with iTunes or iOS 5 upgrading. Apple need to address this. I to lost valuable family pictures when up grading to iOS 5. I did not use a password on the backup but was asked to supply one. I did not choose to go to iCloud at the upgrade time because I wasn't comfortable with the new environment or the limit of 30 days storage of photos.

Did Apple only test in their environment? It is now time to admit some bug problem so many others do not loose photos and contacts.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Anyone know of any way to recover lost pictures? If the phone had been synced before with an apple computer surely there has to be some file one can search to find:confused:

michaelpirretti

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2014
Ok, so I found a solution to my problem (may be problem specific). But after updating to iOS5 I immediatly did the iCloud backup and synced my phone. It wasn't until later that I realized my photos were gone. I then made a foolish decision of restoring my phone a second time only to find out the only backup I had was AFTER the iOS5, thus a backup with no photos. I then remembered the iCloud backup was directly after updating to iOS5 the first time, so I went to Settings>iCloud and saw a backup with a 1GB photo storage. At first I couldn't backup from this iCloud cache because it said it was "incomplete", but I woke up this morning only to find out it was complete (it compelted a 5AM when the intial update was about 7:30 PM). I then restored from the iCloud today and everything is as good as new.
More Reviews:
* How to recover lost contacts from iPhone
* How to recover Lost pictures from iPhone

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This kind of thing is why I wish there was a feature, especially when trying to do an OTA update that would alert you that you haven't down a backup in the last 24 hours and it is possible that you might lose all your stuff. Then makes you actively confirm that you want to go ahead (with the default being cancel update).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.