Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil Carter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Canada
I have iPad Pro (iPadOS 13.6) It recently, and suddenly stopped connecting wirelessly with my HP ENVY 4500 printer (before update to iPadOS 13.6, but still won't connect after this update) Printer still connects OK wirelessly with my iMac. Hence, I don't think it has anything to do with the printer. iPad can't seem to "find" the printer anymore, but iMac finds it OK. Is there a specific iPad setting or setup for re-activating the wireless connection with the printer?

KristyanaB

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2020
Don’t think there is a specific iPad setting, nor a setup for re-activating.

Try the following steps:
  1. Power off all associated devices (iPad, printer, wireless router, and modem) and wait 10 minutes.
  2. Bring the modem and router back up first and wait a few minutes.
  3. Plug in the printer and give it a minute to connect (check your Mac to see when it’s back online).
  4. Turn on the iPad and give it a minute before checking for the printer. (Also - though the printer and iPad are using the wireless network to communicate and not Bluetooth, turn Bluetooth on if it was off before)
Hope that helps! Post back if it doesn’t.

Mind The Mac

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2009
I have iPad Pro (iPadOS 13.6) It recently, and suddenly stopped connecting wirelessly with my HP ENVY 4500 printer (before update to iPadOS 13.6, but still won't connect after this update) Printer still connects OK wirelessly with my iMac. Hence, I don't think it has anything to do with the printer. iPad can't seem to "find" the printer anymore, but iMac finds it OK. Is there a specific iPad setting or setup for re-activating the wireless connection with the printer?

According to the HP Envy 4500 support site, there was a firmware update from HP on 7/16 - does that date coincide when you noticed this on your iPP? Also have you tried with the HP Printer App or is this just through iPadOS native printing?

If the firmware has updated, then maybe forget the WiFi on the printer and then rejoin - if you haven’t tried that already.

Edited for typo and content.

Last edited:

Phil Carter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Canada
Don’t think there is a specific iPad setting, nor a setup for re-activating.

Try the following steps:
  1. Power off all associated devices (iPad, printer, wireless router, and modem) and wait 10 minutes.
  2. Bring the modem and router back up first and wait a few minutes.
  3. Plug in the printer and give it a minute to connect (check your Mac to see when it’s back online).
  4. Turn on the iPad and give it a minute before checking for the printer. (Also - though the printer and iPad are using the wireless network to communicate and not Bluetooth, turn Bluetooth on if it was off before)
Hope that helps! Post back if it doesn’t.
This worked. BTW, this also helped me discover likely reason for my problem. I have two home LAN's, 2.4GHz and 5G. My HP printer uses 2.4 only; so, my iPad on 5G couldn't "see" my printer on 2.4. I guess I should switch printer to 5G only, along with all of my devices. Unless there's some configuration for all my devices on 5G to still see printer on 2.4. Thank you.

Reactions: KristyanaB

KristyanaB

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2020
Hey, that’s great to hear! Glad it helped.

I think you’re right - I too have had 2.4/5 GHz network issues, but didn’t think of it when typing out the steps. I’m not sure if there is a work around for seeing devices on different GHZ bands. My 2.4 and 5 show up separately in my WiFi options so I change networks as needed. Not the most elegant solution, but not too bad as you should have internet access either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.