Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desmortum

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
I understand it's an old topic but I couldn't find substantial information aside from some discussion posts.

So I live in Ukraine and ten years ago there was either no Ukraine in list of countries in iTunes or Ukrainian iTunes had like five movies available. So like millions of people in eastern europe I used US account. I purchased and redeemed tens of movies for hundreds of US dollars (via gift cards).

Few years ago I switched to Ukrainian region because I wanted to use normal credit card and stores became full of content. After switch I noticed that only third of my movies is available on my account. I thought problem is some of them are not available in Ukraine for licensing reasons. In some time I noticed that tens of movies I already paid for are already available in Ukrainian iTunes (Apple TV now) but store asks to pay again. I even paid for one movie again, it takes my money again indeed.

So here I am, paid few hundred for content that is legally available in my region and have no access to it. Unless I pay again. Apple support told me in chat that it supposed to be that way and when I switched movies "got removed" from my account.

I find situation unfair and infuriating. Maybe somebody had success resolving something like that?

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
What you’ll probably find is that the movies you purchased before will either have a different store ID or will be under a different distributor which is why you’re seeing a pay option rather than play.
If what you’ve done is just changed the country attached to your account then those movies will still be attached to your AppleID, but to access them you’d need to switch the country back to the US as it was before.
You would’ve been much better off creating an new account for the Ukrainian account and then just switch between the two accounts.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I understand it's an old topic but I couldn't find substantial information aside from some discussion posts.

So I live in Ukraine and ten years ago there was either no Ukraine in list of countries in iTunes or Ukrainian iTunes had like five movies available. So like millions of people in eastern europe I used US account. I purchased and redeemed tens of movies for hundreds of US dollars (via gift cards).

Few years ago I switched to Ukrainian region because I wanted to use normal credit card and stores became full of content. After switch I noticed that only third of my movies is available on my account. I thought problem is some of them are not available in Ukraine for licensing reasons. In some time I noticed that tens of movies I already paid for are already available in Ukrainian iTunes (Apple TV now) but store asks to pay again. I even paid for one movie again, it takes my money again indeed.

So here I am, paid few hundred for content that is legally available in my region and have no access to it. Unless I pay again. Apple support told me in chat that it supposed to be that way and when I switched movies "got removed" from my account.

I find situation unfair and infuriating. Maybe somebody had success resolving something like that?
Sigh out of iTunes, sign in with older account and they might be restored, report back.

Reactions: desmortum

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Experience shows, that one will need separate apple ID-s for every region of iTunes Store/App Store you are interested in. Of course, Apple will insist having also a credit card issued in the same region, so all other accounts besides your home store, need to be set up without a payment method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.