Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
Exactly! And now I’m like getting myself stressed aha
It‘s likely it would’ve been dead if it was left somewhere unused. Batteries die if you don’t recharge them, especially on an old used iPhone. And since it’s likely an old model we’re talking about? I don’t think anyone, if found, would have any incentive to replace the battery so they can turn it on, if this eases your mind. This is why an iPhone 5s and another 6s in my drawer are completely dead. I wanted to fiddle with them but repairing them makes no economical sense.

Regardless, even if that wasn’t the case, I wouldn’t worry about it. If it had no passcode the first thing they’d do is jump to reset it so it doesn’t ping your Find My (regardless of whether it was actually enabled or not) if they had any intention of fiddling with it or even keeping it.

Reactions: Henners9

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
I would say after 4 years you are safe. If they had any intention of doing anything with what they found they would have done it immediately. I know it’s easier said than done but it’s time to leave that stress behind. Make sure going forward that you have a passcode enabled on your iPhone as an extra precaution 😄

Henners9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2023
It‘s likely it would’ve been dead if it was left somewhere unused. Batteries die if you don’t recharge them, especially on an old used iPhone. And since it’s likely an old model we’re talking about? I don’t think anyone, if found, would have any incentive to replace the battery so they can turn it on, if this eases your mind. This is why an iPhone 5s and another 6s in my drawer are completely dead. I wanted to fiddle with them but repairing them makes no economical sense.

Regardless, even if that wasn’t the case, I wouldn’t worry about it. If it had no passcode the first thing they’d do is jump to reset it so it doesn’t ping your Find My (regardless of whether it was actually enabled or not) if they had any intention of fiddling with it or even keeping it.

Thanks so much for this. Feel a lot better now ☺️

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
4 years ago I lost my iPhone and I’m not sure if I left it at my old apartment or in an old car of mine, my iPhone had some very personal photos of myself on and to this day it haunts me to think what happened to that phone and scares me if someone will ever see the photos I took of myself.

I just want to know if you would be still worried about this missing phone or would you simply move on? P.s I very stupidly never had a passcode
Oh boy, I would be very worried.

Cunir

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2021
I suppose if you're really, really worried you could do the nuclear option and delete your entire icloud account. But transfer everything across to a new one first, of course. Im assuming they would have no way to access your photos on the phone if your icloud account is gone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.