Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmF

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
California
I left my Wi-Fi only iPad on an airplane. I know I won't be able to track it via GPS or send my lost message at the lock screen since it's offline.

What chance do I have of recovering the iPad? The last time I saw it, it airplane mode was off and it has a 4 digit pass code. For privacy/security, should I just erase the thing? Or keep it in Lost Mode and hopefully retrieve it that way?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Lost mode or erase it that's your choice, either way whoever finds it will have a door stop

Reactions: cmF

cmF

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
California
Lost mode or erase it that's your choice, either way whoever finds it will have a door stop

Well if they try to keep it for themselves, they first need to reformat it by plugging it into their computer and connecting to iTunes. Won't that turn the iPad "online" momentarily and thus display the Lost Message with my phone # and contact information?

cmF

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
California

Thanks Gav. Little update from last year, the Costa Rican airlines clean up crew found it, put it in an envelope, and had it waiting in the Lost & Found where I picked it up 7 days later. Couldn't believe how lucky I got with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.