Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JEB0007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
I am not a MAC user in the sense that I do have a MAC but help a friend with his Video Editing on a MAC with 10.2.8.. ( Can't find a forum for that version ) ..Yes I know it is old but it runs Media100 and that's fine.. The problem is I can't network to it as we don't know the password. The account was setup years ago with Auto logon, so we have never used a password..

On this MAC there are 3 accounts,,, One is the actual account ( Admin status ) with the lost password, the second account ( Admin status ) is one I setup and works OK.. and now a New account setup from what I did below.

Reading some of the various ways to reset the password was to boot the Mac holding down Command and S until you get the terminal like text. The next part was to enter various script to restart the Mac as if it was the first time it had been used. That was fine.. I then when into the User account setting and selected the Lost password account as it just wanted a new password... BUT when I tried to change it is said I have to do it via the keychain in utilities. I launch the keychain utility but there were no old keychains and it prompted for a new one to be made. So now I am stuck.

Is there a way that I can BOOT from the original disk and select and reset that particular password. Any guidance would be greatly received. Thanks

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Log in as account number 2. Open the Users and Groups preference panel under System Preferences. If the lock in the bottom left corner shows as locked, double click on it and enter your admin password for account no.2 to unlock it.

Then click on account no. 1 click on "reset password".

JEB0007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
Many thanks for taking to time to help me.. As I mentioned I am not a MAC user ( Been on windows forever ).

If I try to do as you describe, everything goes OK until I click the Reset password. Then it says it can only be reset by the Keychain utility. So I opened the Keychain utility and it asked me to make a name for the Keychain. I did that but of course there was no site of the actual user name as the entries were blank. Is there another was to view the keychain required for that account? Thanks again....

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Can you post a screenshot of the error message? To make a screenshot, type command-option-4. The cursor with change to a crosshair. Put the crosshair on the top left of the area you want the screen shot of, the depress the mouse or track pad button and drag the cursor to the lower right of the area you want the screen shot of. Then release the button. The screen shot should appear as a file on the desktop.
[doublepost=1454246909][/doublepost]On second thought, I think the problem is that you have to reboot and log in under account 2 using the new password before you open KeyChain Access.

JEB0007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
Hello I will have to do that on Friday when I am at the Video studio again.. I did login on the second account and that when I got that Keychain message... Can you advise me if the was to open a keychain is only from the Utils or is there a separate icon for just that one account... Sorry if I don't make much sense but I can find my way around most of the MAC but not had to dive into Keychains.. Thanks again..

JEB0007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
I found some instructions for resetting the password from the original install disk. That disk was 10.2.6. I assume at sometime the system was updated to 10.2.8. When I load the Disk ( Holding C ) it eventually says that a new version is installed and I could archive it, so I can't get to the part where the top Taskbar shows the UTILS tab for the RESET. Any ideas.. I don't thing that an install disk for 10.2.8 was ever launched as I can only find updates.. Any help and guidance would be appreciated.. Oh one other thing... I found some instructions to DELETE the keychain as this is the problem trying to reset the password from the ADMIN account. Do you thing that deleting the keychain will clear that problem. There does not appear to of ever having been a keychain as when I launch the keychain ( Utilities ) it was empty?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.