Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fanatic125

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Hey guys,

I had a 50GB partition on my Mid-2010 15" MBP for Windows 7. Last night, I went into Boot Camp to delete the partition and it randomly shut down in the middle of the process. When I turned my computer back on, I noticed that the Windows partition is gone, but so is about 55 GB. I went into Disk Utility and I can't see it anywhere. There is just a grayed out rectangle. With Sandy coming in a few hours, I can't really go to any stores to try and fix it. Does anyone know how I can get the 55 GB back or will I need to replace my HD?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-28 at 11.54.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-28 at 11.54.18 AM.png
    85.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Screen Shot 2012-10-28 at 11.56.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-28 at 11.56.10 AM.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
My suggestion is after the storm, clone your main drive to an external drive using Carbon Copy Cloner or something similar.

The first thing I'd try is to add a partition and see if it will let you add it in the gray space. Once you have a partition added in the gray space, you can then delete the partition and resize your main partition.

If that doesn't work, boot from the cloned drive (hold down the option key like you would if you were going into Boot Camp), and then run Disk Utility. From there you should be able to erase all the partitions on the main drive and create a new one taking up all the space. At that point, reclone your external drive onto the new one and you should be good to go.

bearbear

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
Not sure if I'm missing something, but just drag the Macintosh HD from the bottom right of the rectangle so it takes up the rest of the space and hit apply.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Not sure if I'm missing something, but just drag the Macintosh HD from the bottom right of the rectangle so it takes up the rest of the space and hit apply.

That doesn't always work. Since Boot Camp Assistant crashed during the process, it deleted the partition but didn't register it as available.

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
That doesn't always work. Since Boot Camp Assistant crashed during the process, it deleted the partition but didn't register it as available.

Same here, the BootCamp assistant froze up during the "Delete Windows Partition" phase and now i'm out 60GB, running time machine now, will reformatt, and reinstall Mnt.Lion from Time Machine...unless, that is, some other person has better suggestion?

bearbear

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
If you have a Linux livecd laying around, you could try running a program like gparted or something.

fanatic125

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
I got it to work by cloning the whole drive with Carbon Copy Cloner, formatting my Mac HD drive and repartitioning it, and then putting the original data back on.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.