Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Hi Everyone!
I have recently installed a new SSD in my 2011 MBP, and have put fresh installs of Lion and Windows 7 Professional 64 on it. Having installed Safari, Quicktime and Apple Software Updater, I then proceeded to allow Windows 7 to update itself (long list of hundreds of system update thingumibobs), as well as perform a series of Windows 7 optimisations for SSDs, such as disabling search indexing, hibernation, prefetch, etc. I also applied the MBR patch to get AHCI disk drivers working in Boot Camp.

Suddenly, for no apparent reason, a whole bunch of my software doesn't work anymore. In Safari's case, if I open it, the blue wheel next to the mouse pointer spins for ~5 seconds (during which Safari is listed in Task Manager processes) before stopping without any notifications, or anything (and disappearing from Task Manager). Internet Explorer works fine, am using it to edit my post now. But Steam and Origin both stop working with a reported crash quickly after opening.
As AHCI mode stops the Boot Camp preferences panel from working, I tried reverting to normal IDE mode to see if that was the problem, but there was no change. I have also tried repairing, and completely reinstalling Safari, and deleting Safari's AppData. No change.

Now I COULD just reinstall Windows, but that seems silly when I have no idea what I did to make this software stop working.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Just to be clear, some software works fine (Internet Explorer, Avira Antivirus, Windows Media Player), other software crashes immediately, with the Trying to Resolve Problem popup (Steam, Origin), and some just won't start at all, without any notice or error (Quicktime, Safari, Apple Software Updater).

Very confused.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Just to be clear, some software works fine (Internet Explorer, Avira Antivirus, Windows Media Player), other software crashes immediately, with the Trying to Resolve Problem popup (Steam, Origin), and some just won't start at all, without any notice or error (Quicktime, Safari, Apple Software Updater).

Very confused.

do these programs that dot work have 32bit and 64bit versions?

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Well, after some trial and error, I identified the problem as ATI Tray Tools. Seems this utility doesn't play nice with some applications.

After disabling the On-Screen Display option, everything is back working, even with ATT running.

NOTE: Before my SSD, I installed ATT, fired up a game, hated the on screen display, and so immediately turned it off. Hence never had this problem before my re-install!

Posted using Safari on Windows 7 :D

elgwhoppo

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2012
You are my hero

I never thought to remove the ATI Tray tools. I've been trolling the net searching for this post like a lost sheep. Thank you my friend.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
My bootcamp installation started freezing at login. It turns out to be ATI tools tray as well. I uninstalled the full CCC and returned to the driver Apple provides with bootcamp. Everything is stable now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.