Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cCan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2022
We use an iPad to record sporting events for the local high school, and last year we got an ethernet to a lightning adapter to increase our streaming speed. Now, when we have the ethernet adapter plugged in while the Aux cord is plugged in to provide the commentary from the mixer, a loud buzzing sound plays over the audio.

This only happens when the Aux cord AND the Ethernet adapter are plugged into the iPad. If we connect the headset directly into the Aux port of the iPad with the Ethernet adapter connected, there is minimal buzzing. Also, if the iPad is running off of WiFi with the Ethernet adapter unplugged and the Aux port of the iPad plugged into the mixer, there again is minimal buzzing.

I'm not entirely sure why this is happening, and I was hoping for a quick fix as we have more games coming up soon. We are using the same setup we used all last year with zero issues, it's only been a problem as of two days ago.

tshort

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
There is likely some form of ground loop. It's possible that some device (lightning/ethernet?) is not grounded properly, or even has a short. There are ways to "lift" the ground, where by the grounds between the devices are disconnected, but the audio signal is still able to pass through. For Professional audio this is usually a DI box. I believe something like a Radial ProAV1 or ProAV2 might help. These provide a ground-lift capability, and use balanced XLR signals to the audio mixer.
But check your cables, first!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.