Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nm1300

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2017
Hi All,
I have had many problems with this laptop. High pitched key noise on some keys, rattling noise from the screen... etc. However, the most annoying one is a loud click noise coming form the hinge I believe when I open the laptop after it has been closed for a while, it is really loud and clear and happens every time. I'm pretty sure it was not like this during the first month.
once the click happens, it can't be reproduced directly. the laptop has to be left closed for about an 2 hours. and after that, the noise returns when opening the lid.

any suggestion? any one of you is experiencing the same?

Thanks.

Last edited:

nm1300

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2017
Update: authorized service provider said that this is normal since it is new but I'm sure that it was not producing the same sound when it was new (few weeks old).

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
My 13" made no sound when opening the lid when new. After about two days it started making a small clicking sound if closed for a while. It would only make it once and if I closed and opened again straight away it wouldn't do it.

On mine, it sounded like it was possibly due to the rubber seal around the screen sticking to the top of the bottom case when closed for a while.

However, a few weeks on and the sound has gone.

nm1300

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2017
My 13" made no sound when opening the lid when new. After about two days it started making a small clicking sound if closed for a while. It would only make it once and if I closed and opened again straight away it wouldn't do it.

On mine, it sounded like it was possibly due to the rubber seal around the screen sticking to the top of the bottom case when closed for a while.

However, a few weeks on and the sound has gone.

thats interesting, on mine Im sure that it is not the rubber sealing because sometime it happens when the lid has been opened for a while and i adjust it only. it seems to be related to the hinge, it makes clicking sound each time it moves after being fixed for a while.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
thats interesting, on mine Im sure that it is not the rubber sealing because sometime it happens when the lid has been opened for a while and i adjust it only. it seems to be related to the hinge, it makes clicking sound each time it moves after being fixed for a while.
Ah right, yes if it does it when adjusting the lid then that's different. Possibly just needs to loosen with use.

shapeless

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
My 15" started getting the same click when opening the lid about a month in too. I'm also getting that occasional touchpad or speaker click that I never noticed before.

TiT38

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2016
French Alps
too late, it arrived at Christmas Eve

I should send it for repair, no ? such noise is unacceptable, regarding the price...it "clicks" like an electrical heater

Calby

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle
too late, it arrived at Christmas Eve

I should send it for repair, no ? such noise is unacceptable, regarding the price...it "clicks" like an electrical heater
I did have mine at repair due to the click and not even apple engeeners did know what it is, my issue was escalated up to that level.
But as they did not offer me a replacement I did remorse my buy at the 3rd party reseller insted of waiting for the engeeners to figurer it out, and I did not wanted to send it to the us either so.

danalh

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2018
Was amazed to find out how many people are experiencing this clicking issue too with late 2016 MBP. I kept thinking it was a crumb or something caught in the hinge (tho I baby this thing!) And I am equally surprised to find out there is no resolve here! This ruffles my feathers every time I open this expensive machine!
Can anyone help figure this out?

BananaX

macrumors regular
May 24, 2017
Was amazed to find out how many people are experiencing this clicking issue too with late 2016 MBP. I kept thinking it was a crumb or something caught in the hinge (tho I baby this thing!) And I am equally surprised to find out there is no resolve here! This ruffles my feathers every time I open this expensive machine!
Can anyone help figure this out?

I had similar problem with my 16 MBP, basically there is no way to fix this problem from what I know. My post. Genius Bar tried to fix mine, made it worse after the second attempt. They replaced mine with a 2017 model on the third time I visit. Some people say the problem can be solve with a display replacement, but my technician did not try that path. Make a booking with Genius Bar is your only bet. Make sure you have some video evidences too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.