Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

humpbacktwale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Just had this happen to me. Made a phone call and instead of the regular ringing sound before it's picked up, I head a loud, high pitched whine. It stopped when I hung up, and the second time the audio was the expected ringing sound. I've never had this happen before, so I am a little concerned. Has anyone else experienced this, or know what the cause is?

I have an SE 2nd gen.

humpbacktwale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
I assume that would be a problem on their end then, if that is the cause, as it didn't happen the second time?

JonaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
It's not your phone - it's an error in the telephony carrier ( at either end) causing the normal ringtone not to be heard

Reactions: humpbacktwale

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Got the same complaint from some people calling me. Had dropped my landline because of its exorbitant cost (AT&T of course) and connected my single cable telephone line to both my fax machine and my phone. The fax machine was set to pick up after a couple of rings and the phone several more so when both the fax and the phone rang at the same time the fax picked up first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.