Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nick808

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2019
Its not only that the fans are LOUD, but the CPU gets overworked WAY too fast.. You can be using chrome and only have like 10 tabs open and your airplane computer fires up and starts lagging... Not what I expected for paying $5000 for this thing.. super dissapointed

Reactions: niho

Cancelled
Oct 30, 2019
Its not only that the fans are LOUD, but the CPU gets overworked WAY too fast.. You can be using chrome and only have like 10 tabs open and your airplane computer fires up and starts lagging... Not what I expected for paying $5000 for this thing.. super dissapointed

Chrome has been known to have issues with Catalina..

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
I am buying the base 16" for $2,150.

Has Apple released a software update addressing "Loud fans on 16" macbook pro"?

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
I'm close to ordering a MBP 16 and am concerned about comments about heat and noise.

Is the base 5300M likely to run a lot cooler?

What about the i7 chip vs one of the i9 chips?

FWIW, I plan to upgrade the RAM to 32GB and can live with 512GB (contemplating 1TB), but I suspect that neither of those are heat issues.
I'm really interest about these too, anyone could help, please?

Builddesign

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012

Same issue, plug in external monitors & it’s so hot and noisy, wonder what will happen when I use it for 3D rendering, it might melt.

considering returning

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
For what it's worth, my 16" is now over a month old. I too was amazed at the amount of times the fans ran at full speed, but they don't do that now. I rarely ever hear them nowadays. I'd posit that the indexing's now finished along with the backups, etc.

It's now a machine that I'm really liking after the initial early teething issues.

Reactions: jerryk and filmak

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I am buying the base 16" for $2,150.

Has Apple released a software update addressing "Loud fans on 16" macbook pro"?

There's no issue, people just don't understand how computers work.

Apple redesigned the thermals to push more air through, which means yes, fans will be louder when they kick on. The alternative is throttling the processor, which people buying Macbook Pros do not want.

You get fast performance + louder fans or quieter fans with lower performance. For people buying a MacBook Pro the former is what most of us want.
[automerge]1577708750[/automerge]
Same issue, plug in external monitors & it’s so hot and noisy, wonder what will happen when I use it for 3D rendering, it might melt.

considering returning

I use mine for 3D all the time with zero issues. Mari, Houdini, Modo, ZBrush, and Substance Suite all work great on it. Fans will kick on when using those programs and it doesn't mean anything is wrong. You can either take the performance with the noise (which isn't even major) or go the less noise route which means processor throttling. You literally cannot have both in a laptop without greatly changing the form factor.

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
For what it's worth, my 16" is now over a month old. I too was amazed at the amount of times the fans ran at full speed, but they don't do that now. I rarely ever hear them nowadays. I'd posit that the indexing's now finished along with the backups, etc.

It's now a machine that I'm really liking after the initial early teething issues.

I'll take the "really liking" back now as the damn useless Music application failed to save my music library, failed to tell me that it hadn't, and lost my library following a reboot.... after I've spent most of today sorting it out. What a useless festering waste of CPU cycles that Music application is...

Now looking at completely turning my back on Music in favour of some other music player that will work with my (large) library.
/rant

x3sphere

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2014
Can’t be normal, I have over 20 tabs open in Chrome, plus two VMs, and a few other apps like VS code and iterm. It’s nearly silent still. For me it’s around 30-40% cpu usage the fan noise starts to become loud, but that’s a decent amount of load so expected. I’m also connected to an external monitor. As far as performance it doesn’t lag at all with all the aforementioned open.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Just want to chime in that I've now had my MBP 16 (2.3 i9 / 32GB / 1TB / 5500 w/8GB) for about a week now, where I've mostly been using it on my lap, browsing the web, and keeping it plugged in. The bottom got barely warm.

Just today, I finally brought it to my home office and plugged it into my 2560x1440 monitor (while also using the built-in display) and I can only hear the fan if I try to listen for it (it's running, but it's very quiet). Bottom of laptop is quite a bit warmer.

I haven't really tried pushing it hard yet, so I'll see how that goes. But based on some of what I was reading in these forums, I was worried that the fans would be noticeable all of the time, and that it might be too uncomfortable to use it on my lap (for non-intensive stuff) and I'm happy to report that that doesn't seem to be a concern.

bennyprofane

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2015
I agree, it's noisy even in idle.

Did you import your old Mac (which was perhaps even on a previous OS) when setting up? In my experience, this often leads to problems: a slow and loud (fans running a lot) Mac. Have experienced this many times.

I'm guessing that permissions and other stuff conflict.

So, I never update to a new operating system but always start fresh and manually import everything I need.

Have my MBP 16 since three days and only once the fans were audibly running very quietly. Just rendered a file in Compressor and the fans were not audible at all.

Haven't tested it with an external screen. Will do that soon.

Last edited:

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014

‘this is my experience too. seemed to take awhile to calm down.
the fans really do kick in loudly when pushed, which I am not a fan of [pun intended ;)]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.