Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
It may sound stupid question but I was wondering if there are any apps that can turn an Ipad (sidekick enabled or not) to a control console, in similar way you can use a loupedeck for controlling MacOS and a number of apps.
I'm using the unified remote sporadically, that is useful but not very user friendly, and I was wondering if there are alternatives that work better, or simulate the loupedeck experience, because I can find none.

it is amazing that Apple haven't use the pairing Mac and Ipad to provide such functionality!

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
For anyone who cares, two applications can do something similar to loupedeck (custom control of mac apps and other stuff)

1. Elgato Stream Deck app: its function is similar to the original stream-deck that is a stand-alone device. Subscription-based, however.

2. Touch- Portal app: amazing remote control that can perform remote actions to your mac through the iPad. Looks better than the stream-deck and it's cheaper as it is on-off cost.

Reactions: flobach

MevetS

Cancelled
Dec 27, 2018
Interesting. Have you tried the Touch-Portal app and if so how did you like it?

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
Interesting. Have you tried the Touch-Portal app and if so how did you like it?

I've just starting exploring Touch Portal and I have to say, from what I've seen so far, this app is full of potential! I've tested it so far with the native MacOS controls and the GIMP integration and both work very well! If I understand correctly, you can assign actions to any application, as long as it is in the foreground and support keyboard shortcuts.There some integrations with Adobe and few other apps but haven't try them yet.

I've tried it side to side with Elgato Stream Deck app; Stream Deck is more user friendly as you can use it almost immediately and it has native integration with more apps; however is limited to only 15 buttons(why?!), is customised for use on an iPhone screen only(double why?!) and it is subscription based (I mean why?!?!). The Touch Portal has a steeper learning curve and it requires to invest some time to set it up initially, however it has almost unlimited options for set-ups as you can fit as many buttons as you like in a setup. Most importantly requires only an one off payment of $18, that seems pretty fair to me.

So far, I'm pretty happy with it as it works just fine on any iPhone/iPad with iOS 9.2 or newer. For $18 does wonders and put into shame the pricey Loupedeck and Elgato consoles.

I've dig out an old iPad Mini and I've repurpose it for testing the Touch Portal. Most likely is going stay in the desktop in the form of a control deck.

Last edited:

MevetS

Cancelled
Dec 27, 2018
Cool, thanks. I dug out an old iPhone 6s and and after letting it charge overnight I was all set to give Touch Portal a go this morning. Alas, the screen on the 6S is wonky, and after several minutes of use no longer respond to touch, and a 'bouncing' white area appears across the top. After a while that clears and it will accept input again, only to go wonky again after a few minutes. Bummer.

That phone would have been a nice size for such a controller on my desk methinks. Now, it turns out my wife could use a new phone, I just have to convince her of that!

Good luck and have fun with it.

Reactions: coolajami
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.