Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
I have an iPad Air 5, M1 256 GB. it is thicker and heavier than my old iPad 3 and still battery life literally sucks.
i now only use it to read newspaper, a few books and some videos from Netflix.
Battery life is lousy compared to my older iPad. I know this one's faster and has M1 in it, which i like but I am getting maybe 6 hours and that is if I am lucky. Meawhile I have a Macbook Pro 2020 13" and i absolutely love it! Battery lasts 18 hours and some change.
I will probably skip iPad in the future and use my macbook Pro or iPhone Max instead and have a lot better battery life.
Is this just me or?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Air 5 thinker and heavier than an iPad 3?? Are you serious? 😂
Depending on brightness and what you do, 6 hours is perfectly normal. As it is normal that a M1 Macbook pro with the same chip and much larger battery lasts quite a bit longer

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
My iPad Air5 had great battery life when I purchased it about a year ago. Now it runs out of battery in a few hours. Going to try resetting and will take it to apple or sell it if I can't fix it. It was an amazing iPad but now it needs babysitting. I wonder if one of the upgrades affected battery.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Mine wasn’t good to start with but I suspect an upgrade made it a lot worse.

Reactions: dotzero123

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Your post doesn’t really match the thread title, but yes try a fresh install. You can also do things like turning off background app refresh and notifications for most apps. I also added battery top control center and I turn on low power mode when not in use to really improve standby time.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Is brightness high? I have an iPad Air 5 and battery life is great but I use it with low brightness on iPadOS 15. iPads have always been poor with high brightness, I recall complaints about the 1st-gen iPad Pros (on iOS 9!) with something like 4 hours of screen-on time. When the device is new (so, not infinitely updated), I’d dare to say that battery life issues are always due to high brightness (if usage isn’t heavy, which is your case).

Newspaper, Books, and Netflix is my use case, and even my 7-year-old, forcibly-updated-to-iOS 12, 9,7-inch iPad Pro gets 11 hours with that usage (and low brightness).

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
iOS 17 messes with battery life big time.

Also the M1 consumes more compared to it predecessors.
How does the M1 consume more (I guess battery) compared to its predecessors?
If I look at the spec sheet of the CPU everything points towards its being more efficient.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
How does the M1 consume more (I guess battery) compared to its predecessors?
If I look at the spec sheet of the CPU everything points towards its being more efficient.
It's certainly more efficient than the Intel chips it replaces, but it's sort of an A# chip with desktop features, like swap memory, added. A higher performance version of the A# chips if you will.

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
It is basically more cores and the interconnect between them and memory is a little different, too.

The M1 design (8 high performance cores at 3,2Ghz) e.g. is based on the A14 (6 high performance cores at 3 Ghz).

Roughly a third higher energy consumption compared to its predecessors. Users are reporting this in daily usage. But iOS 17 just seems to be very buggy regarding energy managment in general, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.