Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sotiredofsoup

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Santa Monica, CA
I recently discovered a surprising inconvenience in the home button. After reading about the disappearance of the physical home button, I still thought the button would be primarily pressure activated. It turns out the new home button won't register at all with gloves on.

I discovered this mid-trip on a motorcycle ride where my phone was mounted as my GPS. While stopped at a light, I slid the map to see my route ahead. In a series of touches-gone-wrong, I switched apps by using 3D Touch and was unable to do it again to switch back because the light turned green. At the next red light, I was able to open app switching through 3D Touch again but my touch to select the app registered as a flick up and *WHOOSH* Waze was now closed.

Despite positioning my thumb in different ways on the home button and trying to click "Home" to reopen the app, nothing registered. My gloves obviously register on the screen, but it looks like activating the metal ring of the TouchID sensor is a requirement for the button to function. When I got home, I tried using a pair of North Face gloves that are explicitly iPhone friendly and it was the same deal.

I realize my situation above is somewhat unique, but once winter comes around I assume there are going to be a lot of Apple customers with freezing cold fingers. Otherwise, I have to say I am very happy with the phone and especially with the dual camera setup.

Has anyone else had any experience with this or any good workarounds?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I like the new home button. It has a short learning curve. But it's a refreshed feeling with haptic. As far as the gloves goes, it might be one of the drawbacks to those who used them. But overall, the home button is a nice touch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sleepydinosaur

sotiredofsoup

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Santa Monica, CA
I like the new home button. It has a short learning curve. But it's a refreshed feeling with haptic. As far as the gloves goes, it might be one of the drawbacks to those who used them. But overall, the home button is a nice touch.

I agree that gloves issue aside, I enjoy using it too. I think the haptic feedback is great and the sensor seems every so slightly more accurate that the TouchID on my 6S (sweaty hands).
[doublepost=1475530107][/doublepost]
I'm really enjoying the 7+ as well. North Face Phone Compatible Gloves are reported to work. There was a 12-page thread about this...

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ires-capacitive-touch-to-work.1997227/page-12

Hmm, I will give them another try. Unfortunately I won't be using those gloves on a moto. Thanks for the link though- I'm reading through it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I agree that gloves issue aside, I enjoy using it too. I think the haptic feedback is great and the sensor seems every so slightly more accurate that the TouchID on my 6S (sweaty hands).

It's very accurate and the haptic feedback keeps you on queue.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
I recently discovered a surprising inconvenience in the home button. After reading about the disappearance of the physical home button, I still thought the button would be primarily pressure activated. It turns out the new home button won't register at all with gloves on.

I discovered this mid-trip on a motorcycle ride where my phone was mounted as my GPS. While stopped at a light, I slid the map to see my route ahead. In a series of touches-gone-wrong, I switched apps by using 3D Touch and was unable to do it again to switch back because the light turned green. At the next red light, I was able to open app switching through 3D Touch again but my touch to select the app registered as a flick up and *WHOOSH* Waze was now closed.

Despite positioning my thumb in different ways on the home button and trying to click "Home" to reopen the app, nothing registered. My gloves obviously register on the screen, but it looks like activating the metal ring of the TouchID sensor is a requirement for the button to function. When I got home, I tried using a pair of North Face gloves that are explicitly iPhone friendly and it was the same deal.

I realize my situation above is somewhat unique, but once winter comes around I assume there are going to be a lot of Apple customers with freezing cold fingers. Otherwise, I have to say I am very happy with the phone and especially with the dual camera setup.

Has anyone else had any experience with this or any good workarounds?
Thanks for taking the time to write this. Coincendentally I ran into a pair of wool touch screen gloves and out of pure curiousity I decided to try it on my device. It did activate the home button fine. It just seems some gloves work and some don't.

It's annoying, but eventually we'll have plenty of compatible gloves

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I like, no love it. Taptic feedback is perfect and frankly one less thing to worry about breaking or sticking.

Not that I've kept my phones long enough. I just read them.

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
I guess assistive touch on screen home button may become somewhat essential if you need to operate the phone with gloves on

sleepydinosaur

Suspended
Oct 31, 2009

I concur. I don't live in climate where gloves are required (we don't have actual seasons either) but I would imagine TouchID wouldn't have worked with gloves on anyway, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.