Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubbermilitia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
Hello,

I've recently suffered the death of a loved one and I'm deperate to get into his iphone.

It's an iPhone 6s, not sure of the OS version- I'm working on getting that using libimobiledevice, though I'm not sure if that will work because I don't think the phone is jailbroken. The pin is 6 digits.

I cannot use the siri method because siri is not enabled, and I cannot use the restore method because I don't know his iCloud user/pass. Also I want to avoid the restore method since it will delete his apps.

I have been and will continue to search the forums for solutions. I've found some that seem promising, but I will really like a foolproof, straightforward solution.

I'm not willing to give up the phone or send it anywhere, but I will pay a few hundred to anyone who can walk me through how to do it, if their method works.

Alternatively, since I'm familiar with Linux, command line tools, and programming, if anyone has a guide I can follow, I should be able to go about it alone.

Any information is extremely appreciated.

Thank you

PS I've already posted this on another forum- I'm not trying to be sneaky, just trying to get answers. Wanted to mention this before someone tries to call me out on it.

PPS I keep hearing about services where you can send in your phone to get the pin unlocked for $100. If it was a reputable company I might give this a try, but I cant find any of these online. Does anyone know of a reputable contact for this purpose?

Rubbermilitia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
Simple answer is.....there is absolutely nothing you can do.

I hope this isn't true. I found this, and I'm planning on looking into it later tonight: https://arxiv.org/abs/1609.04327

The FBI does it, therefore it's possible.

Edit: I'm not sure if the above method will work, and it looks pretty complicated. I'm just trying to gather as many options as I can. If I can find a reputable company that performs pin bypass, I'll probably give them a try too.

At this point I need answers and giving up is not an option
[doublepost=1476302028][/doublepost]I also found this: http://www.thesecurityblogger.com/h...odes-booting-without-approved-apple-firmware/

Has anyone ever tried any of these methods?

Reactions: Jstuts5797

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
I hope this isn't true. I found this, and I'm planning on looking into it later tonight: https://arxiv.org/abs/1609.04327

Edit: I'm not sure if the above method will work, and it looks pretty complicated. I'm just trying to gather as many options as I can. If I can find a reputable company that performs pin bypass, I'll probably give them a try too.

Out of hundreds of posts like this, you'd be the first to have it accomplished...... I suppose you could locate an out of country security company and they'd do it for a million dollars ..... like they did for the FBI ... Apple designed it this way..... There isn't a website that will do it. They'll scam you

Rubbermilitia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
Out of hundreds of posts like this, you'd be the first to have it accomplished...... I suppose you could locate an out of country security company and they'd do it for a million dollars ..... like they did for the FBI ... Apple designed it this way..... There isn't a website that will do it. They'll scam you

I see, that's pretty disheartening. Thanks for the warning. But I know there's someone out there, some hobbyist hacker, that has done this before.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You should ask the FBI.

We are not the FBI and even if anyone here knew how to do what you are asking, giving you a step by step guide would violate the rules. Surely you read the rules when you signed up?

Sorry for your loss but their passing does not mean the Mods on the forum will grant an exception to violate the rules.

But I know there's someone out there, some hobbyist hacker, that has done this before.
That person is not a member of MacRumors. What you are seeking here you will not find. And believing it's possible won't help you unless you've got the massive amount of cash that person will probably require of you.

Again, sorry for your loss but you're asking in the wrong place.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

[doublepost=1476302028][/doublepost]I also found this: http://www.thesecurityblogger.com/h...odes-booting-without-approved-apple-firmware/

Has anyone ever tried any of these methods?

The FBI paid 1.4 $million to bypass the 4digit passcode on the San Bernardino's terrorists iPhone.
Are you ready to break your piggy bank?

Reactions: eyoungren

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Sorry for your loss.

It will be a fruitless endeavor. Best to just let it go and move on with your life. Everything that has been posted is true and you won't be getting into that phone easily or cheaply.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I agree with everyone else here; we see a few of these stories every week, and not one person comes back and tells us they've managed it. That said, a friend of a friend recently told me that when she brought her daughter's pin locked iPhone 6 on iOS 9 in to an Apple store along with the receipt, they were able to unlock it with no loss of data.

Do I believe that? No, no matter how insistent she was about the circumstances, because every other case I've heard of says otherwise. But given your desperation, it certainly won't hurt to bring the phone, receipt, and death certificate to Apple and ask.

I'm sorry for your loss.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to access it. There has been national attention on this issue so I'm wondering how anyone from MacRumors would even remotely have the key to that lock..no pun intended.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
I see, that's pretty disheartening. Thanks for the warning. But I know there's someone out there, some hobbyist hacker, that has done this before.
There isn't. Either take it in an Apple store with receipt and death certificate and hope they can help. Or realize its a paperweight now.
Sorry if this is true, but with at least 2 of these topics a week and the account is always new. You posted 3 times here and you posted 3 times in the topic. Software is nothing like CSI shows or movies have led you to believe. Soooooooo... Bye Felicia.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

If there was some hobbyist out there that could do this the FBI would not have spent 1.4 Million to get it done. I'm sure they know a lot of them who consult for them or who are willing to work off a hacking charge.

I am really sorry for your loss...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.