Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I _______ my AirTags

• Love

Votes: 7 33.3%

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Don’t use

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don’t own

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FireFish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
What are my options short of purchasing new $99 tags?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
From my experience, it seems you normally have a few weeks of life after you start to get the notifications. so no need to panic.

and seconding in case you missed it above, DO NOT GET the ones with bitterant on them. They will not work. they might also be marked as child safe or child secure.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
5 replaced 3 out of five in 11/2 years.No I have used the Bitterrant types and they worked.
There are LOTS of posts on MR about people having issues with the batteries with the bitterant coating - your personal experience does not refute theirs (and you advising others, despite that is pretty careless).

From Apple:

CR2032 batteries with bitterant coatings might not work with AirTag or other battery-powered products, depending on the alignment of the coating in relation to the battery contacts.

Source:

• Haha
Reactions: JapanApple

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Buy a new battery? My very first AirTag I got came with a near-dead battery. I think I used it a day before I started getting low battery notifications. The Apple store just replaced the whole thing. Again, from a recent four-pack I purchased, one of them started giving me the low battery alert after about a week. Apple will not replace this one, because the warning is intermittent and wasn't showing up when I took it in. I also get constant warnings from this one about being left behind even though it's always with me.

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
There are LOTS of posts on MR about people having issues with the batteries with the bitterant coating - your personal experience does not refute theirs (and you advising others, despite that is pretty careless).

From Apple:

CR2032 batteries with bitterant coatings might not work with AirTag or other battery-powered products, depending on the alignment of the coating in relation to the battery contacts.

Source:

not refuting anything silly. I stated that it doesn't always apply. Why else does it work in my example (3 times)? problem is the layers of the coating aren't always the same it seems. I am not wrong source or no source it doesn't always apply to every case.

Reactions: robvalentine

DaytonAnnie

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2015
SW Ohio
I also got batteries on Amazon. Just make sure you purchase ones without the bitterant coating. I've read that they don't work well with AirTags.

Reactions: KaliYoni

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
That has not been my experience.

Please don't think this as sounding rude, but you are doing it wrong. They are designed for the end user to replace the batteries. I don't know what else to tell you. But you are wrong. I have five and replaced every single one of mine at least once. Now don't get me wrong, the chrome cover can be a bit of a bitch to get off but nevertheless it is designed to be removed by us.

Reactions: antiprotest

DaytonAnnie

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2015
SW Ohio
  • Wow
Reactions: ZebraDude
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.