Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magik2314213412

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2022
I have a problem with my macbook probably connected to the CPU. When I play the game Valorant there is a very low CPU speed (below 1GHz) which lowers my FPS so I can't play the game smoothly. This thing didn't occur a few days ago and my game was running smoothly. The temperatures are still the same (around 70C). The problem occurs both on macOS and on WIN10 Bootcamp

I have a 2018 15 inch macbook pro with intel core i7 8750h / radeon pro 555x. 256GB SSD 16GB RAM

Reactions: Mark Anderson

magik2314213412

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2022
Have you been having any battery issues?
My macbook says recommended service for the battery but this notification has been there for like 5 months? Macbook is plugged in everytime I use it and battery level is on 100%. Battery number of cycles is 366.

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
So when the battery isn't performing like it should it isn't installed Mac OS will ramp down the CPU to save power and keep from overwhelming the power supply. I remember in the old Unibody days if the battery was kaput or not installed OSX would limit the CPU to 1GHZ. I think the battery is the root of the cause but I could be wrong

MacPeasant123

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2018
Battery becoming dead will slow down your computer to a crawl.
This could explain why my previous MacBook Pro constantly beach-balled two years ago, as my technician also said the battery is bulging and needs replacing. Is there a way to turn off this "CPU slows down due to dead battery" setting in macOS?

magik2314213412

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2022
If the battery health is degraded to a point where the OS labels it as "Service Required", then the OS will take steps to prevent unintended shutdowns such as limiting the frequency of the CPU.
I'm only concerned about thing that limiting the frequency of the CPU has started a few days ago when battery service was there for 5 months

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.