Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

binkie

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2020
I just ran speedtest.net and I couldn't get a score higher than 35mbps, whereas my 1.5 year old Lenovo IdeaPad (also WiFi 5) reaches 50mbps easily. Anyone that can explain this to me? Kinda disappointing since the machine was €1200 compared to €680 for the Lenovo IdeaPad..

Anything I can do? Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks in advance!

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
Did you run the speed tests side by side? I get a lot of variation in internet speeds on a day to day basis. Network congestion, weather conditions, etc.

Actarus

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
Be sure to be using wifi 5Ghz and try a different test like fast.com.

Last edited:

redlob

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
Around 180 mbps on Ziggo 250 mbps connection. Old MBA 2011 gets 140 mbps. So not a problem here and looks like something on your end.

binkie

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2020
UPDATE: I've called with Apple for about 1 hour, the problem was a corrupted cache file inside Safari which caused the lower internet speed.

Everything is working great now!

Last edited:

Actarus

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
UPDATE: I've called with Apple for about 1 hour, the problem was a corrupted cache file inside Safari which caused the lower internet speed.

Everything is working great now!

What did you exactly do to solve it? I think it could be an interesting info.

binkie

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2020
What did you exactly do to solve it? I think it could be an interesting info.
I got help from the Apple employee via Screen Share. He gave me directions to I believe the cache folders (new to macOS).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.