Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pro7913

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 28, 2019
I feel bad when Apple made Mac Pro only for high-end professionals by starting at $6000 instead of $3000. I understand the price since the computer itself is expansive such as PCIe slots.

But Apple made low~mid range Mac Pro for a long time and now there is a huge gap. iMac Pro is still $5000 which is still high for low-end desktop and you cant even clean or upgrade. Also, they didn't even update it since 2017.

I think it would be nice if they make a modular desktop like Mac Pro 2019 with fewer features such as less PCIe slots. The price might be still high but at least a low-mid range modular Mac can satisfy most people. I wonder if they wanna make it?

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
I feel bad when Apple made Mac Pro only for high-end professionals by starting at $6000 instead of $3000. I understand the price since the computer itself is expansive such as PCIe slots.

But Apple made low~mid range Mac Pro for a long time and now there is a huge gap. iMac Pro is still $5000 which is still high for low-end desktop and you cant even clean or upgrade. Also, they didn't even update it since 2017.

I think it would be nice if they make a modular desktop like Mac Pro 2019 with fewer features such as less PCIe slots. The price might be still high but at least a low-mid range modular Mac can satisfy most people. I wonder if they wanna make it?

no, they don't want to make it.

• Haha
Reactions: Pro7913

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark

This has been discussed a lot, often dubbed the Mac Pro Mini or Mac mini Pro. I'd love one as well, but I doubt Apple has any intentions of developing such a device

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
It really doesn’t matter what you call it, there is clearly an appetite for something between a MacMini and the MP7,1. Can argue specs and details, but generally i9 or Xeon CPU, upto 128GB RAM+, 1-2 PCIe or an expansion chassis option for it, and most want $2500-3500 starting or with options.

Apple could also effectively kill the entire Hackintosh market with a T2/TX OS requirement. I’m sure that would anger enthusiasts, but seems like it’s going to happen eventually.

Reactions: thisisnotmyname

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I don’t think Apple cares about Hackintoshes. Seriously. I think they’d rather let people keep building Hackintoshes than build an xMac.

Tim Cook probably thinks of Hackintoshes exactly zero times a day.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
The mythical xMac would be great for many businesses. The cooling, modularity, and flexibility of the Mac Pro don’t need to be restricted to the high end. I’d love one as an app developer.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I prefer the name PowerMac for this mythical device. Though I'm not arguing for it to use a PowerPC CPU ;). Just think it'd be a cool revival of the name. Or the Mac Plus. That'd both be a throwback and fit in with the naming of the iPhones... Before they changed it to Max anyway. Or an option that'd never happen. The Apple IV. Or the Lisa 2. Or the Mac Pro Cube.... And it'd be a cube... Or the Performa 92241240e... Because the names of Apple computers in that era were ludicrous...
Anyways that aside aside..... Haha.... The name is irrelevant indeed. We'd all like the product, but I sincerely doubt it'll happen. Apple feels like it covers all relevant markets. The iMacs for desktop users, iMac Pro for desktop prosumers and some professionals. Mac Pro for high end pros and the obvious laptop range. Oh yeah, and the Mac mini for the BYODKM consumer crowd.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I wouldn’t mind if Apple repurposed the cylindrical Mac Pro. Simplify internally and change materials to bring down the chassis cost. Have a choice of i5/i7/l9. 1 replaceable GPU. 2 NVMe and 4 RAM slots, all user accessible. It may not have had the cooling it required for top end, but should be good for the purpose I suggest.

Reactions: Pro7913

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
I don’t think Apple cares about Hackintoshes. Seriously. I think they’d rather let people keep building Hackintoshes than build an xMac.

Tim Cook probably thinks of Hackintoshes exactly zero times a day.

They don't have to support Hackintoshes. They would have to support an xMac with every damn stupid thing people would try it kit it out with. Financially, that's a big win for Apple.

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
They don't have to support Hackintoshes. They would have to support an xMac with every damn stupid thing people would try it kit it out with. Financially, that's a big win for Apple.
The support requirements would be exactly the same as cMP & 7,1.

Cards on the approved list are supported, other stuff may work but is unsupported.

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
The support requirements would be exactly the same as cMP & 7,1.

Cards on the approved list are supported, other stuff may work but is unsupported.
That doesn't stop people from trying to get support and hiding what they are trying to do. I had a rather illuminating conversation this summer with an expert in pricing warranties and support costs. The absolute worst segment of customer a seller can have is the "I want your best, but cheaper" customer, aka the Premium Cheapskate. "We don't support/warranty that," is no barrier to the Premium Cheapskate attempting to get support or expecting the seller to warranty their mistakes. The trick is to support other customers in the same price tier with clearly differentiated product and then tolerate knockoffs/lookalikes as flypaper to get rid of the Premium Cheapskates.

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
That doesn't stop people from trying to get support and hiding what they are trying to do. I had a rather illuminating conversation this summer with an expert in pricing warranties and support costs. The absolute worst segment of customer a seller can have is the "I want your best, but cheaper" customer, aka the Premium Cheapskate. "We don't support/warranty that," is no barrier to the Premium Cheapskate attempting to get support or expecting the seller to warranty their mistakes. The trick is to support other customers in the same price tier with clearly differentiated product and then tolerate knockoffs/lookalikes as flypaper to get rid of the Premium Cheapskates.
What?

Reactions: Tuli

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

There is pretty good chance that the 2020 iMac (plain) will have 10 cores . So even if Apple doesn't update the iMac Pro or keeps it at the same $5,000 ( perhaps starting at 10 cores in Intel price cut for those kind of CPUs) then still have a mid range Mac.

I think it would be nice if they make a modular desktop like Mac Pro 2019 with fewer features such as less PCIe slots.

Folks have asked for the likely high fratricide model versus the iMac for a long time. Apple has done little and likely going to stay on that path. The new Mac Pro seems to be selling quite well. So are the iMacs.
The iMac Pro has but will likely run into some problems in upcoming horizon with competitors, but it could would some updates . If the iMac Pro crumbles and fails even with updates then maybe. If it returns to levels it saw in 2018 then probably not.

More Likely Apple may bump the Mac Mini in internal volume a bit. ( maybe (inches ) 8.7 x 8.7 x 1.4 or 7.9 x 7.9 x 2.4 ) to close some of the bottom of that xMac gap ( now that they opened up the top end range more with the Mac Pro base price increase ). If they bump the volume there is a decent chance they can bump the Mini to 10 cores in 2020 also (at some price higher than many would like to pay.)

There has been an xMac gap for well over a decade and the Mac production division is way bigger now in both revenue and units than the start of that over decade period. Apple isn't loosing money doing what they are doing. It highly successful.

Pro7913

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 28, 2019
There is pretty good chance that the 2020 iMac (plain) will have 10 cores . So even if Apple doesn't update the iMac Pro or keeps it at the same $5,000 ( perhaps starting at 10 cores in Intel price cut for those kind of CPUs) then still have a mid range Mac.

Since 2015, they are updating iMac every 2 years. I highly doubt that.

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
It really doesn’t matter what you call it, there is clearly an appetite for something between a MacMini and the MP7,1. Can argue specs and details, but generally i9 or Xeon CPU, upto 128GB RAM+, 1-2 PCIe or an expansion chassis option for it, and most want $2500-3500 starting or with options.

Apple could also effectively kill the entire Hackintosh market with a T2/TX OS requirement. I’m sure that would anger enthusiasts, but seems like it’s going to happen eventually.
Not trying to be pedantic, but sticking with a common name helps people find information on the topic. xMac has long been the accepted term in enthusiast circles.

Reactions: AidenShaw

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
In case you're not aware, xMac is a product released by Sonnet for MacMini. This product being discussed in this thread is a non-existing or new product somewhere between the MacMini and MP7,1 (NOT the same xMac product from Sonnet).

Does not matter what enthusiast circles are calling it and many enthusiasts have moved to Hackintosh machines to "solve" this "problem" with lack of available product.

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
This is the Mac Pro forum, people looking for xMac here are familiar with the context and won't confuse it with Sonnet's offerings. I'll leave it at that.

I'm one of those folks happily using HP Z8xx hackintoshes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.