Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrankinJland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
I have a question about the size of my iPhone backup. For the past several years since my first iPhone 3 GS I’ve always backed it up on my Mac using iTunes and more recently Finder.
Today I noticed the size of the backup of iOS Files in the Storage pane on my Mac and it is a mere 3.99GB, I'm not sure, but I think it always used to be about 20GB.
The iPhone capacity is 64GB and available space is 31.7 GB which means I should have 32.3 GB of files for back up. My question is, does the backup software now encrypt 32.3GB down to 3.99GB?

I know that using iCloud to back up an iPhone reduces what is already backed up to the cloud (eg. Photos)from the backup, so I was wondering if the same thing occurs when I offload photos etc from my iPhone onto my Mac prior to making a backup. Anyway, I’m curious and would really like to know if anyone can enlighten me.

iPhone 11pro iOS 17.4.1, iMac Retina 5K 2017 MacOS Ventura13.6.6.

We’ve come a long way since my first backup strategy was a marker pen and a shoebox full of floppies!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.