Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Complex_Carb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2022
When I download to my Windows PC the bitrate is higher and the image quality is noticeably better with the "Automatic" setting selected vs the "Keep Original" setting. The "keep original" version almost looks like it was shot at a higher exposure.... the "Automatic" or "Converted" version is much more vibrant.

"Keep Original" = H.265 Main 10 L5.0
"Automatic" = H.264 High L5.1

For example a 4K video I have after converted to the H.264 High L5.1 Codec that IOS does in "Automatic" mode has a size of 823 MB and a Bitrate of 52,623kbps. The same file coming off the phone via "Keep Original" has a codec of H.264 High L5.1, has a size of 374 MB, and a Bitrate of 25,289kbps.

I can visually notice a difference in quality size by side with these two files. The 264 codec seems to have better contrast and detail.

-----------------------

Ok cool, good to know... but why am I making this post? "Automatic" is UNRELIABLE. When I try to leave the transfer setting as "Automatic" I keep getting the dreaded error "A device attached to the system is not functioning." about 1/2 way though the transfer.

pain.png

Does anyone have a solution that doesn't require me to change the settings to "Keep Original" and settle with a lower quality and worse looking video files?!

Thanks,
Carb

PS: If I change the camera format settings to "Most Compatible" it removes the ability to shoot HDR video... which looks substantially better and is what I'm after. So I don't see this as a viable solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.