Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drinktothat421

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Im looking for a messaging/ texting app that works on LTE when your iphone is turned off or dead? Any ?

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
SMS or iMessage? It sounds like SMS needs the phone to be on and on wifi/cellular for the watch to send SMS (depending on carrier.)

iMessage should work without the phone.

Drinktothat421

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
SMS or iMessage? It sounds like SMS needs the phone to be on and on wifi/cellular for the watch to send SMS (depending on carrier.)

iMessage should work without the phone.

Yes imessage or email should work with the phone off. But im looking for any other apps that offer texting non iphone phones if and when your phone dies.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Yes imessage or email should work with the phone off. But im looking for any other apps that offer texting non iphone phones if and when your phone dies.

as I understand it that is not currently possible. SMS (short message service) is a voice service and needs the handset on and connected to a cellular tower to relay the message.

Drinktothat421

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
as I understand it that is not currently possible. SMS (short message service) is a voice service and needs the handset on and connected to a cellular tower to relay the message.

Now i dont even think email works with the phone off. Ut yes like i said. I understand what does not work. Looking for something thats does.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I am frantically researching for the same exact thing. Don't see why Facebook Messenger or Viber don't work. They both use LTE/Wi-Fi and they both have associated AW apps. Is this an Apple restriction or an App developer restriction? My wife refuses to leave Samsung so iMessage is out of the question. Really bummed as this is the sole purpose I wanted LTE on a Watch.

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
My guess is they wouldn't work because of the restrictive nature of AW apps. They are a shell of the parent app on the iPhone. They rely on that parent app to perform. Even if there is an LTE watch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.