Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I was thinking of possibly springing for the full LTE iPad pro when it is released. I've only owned WiFi iPads in the past. I have a few questions for the past iPad LTE versions vs Wifi Versions:

• Is the upload download speed faster on the LTE vs tethering from 6s Plus?
  • Is the battery effected on the LTE version vs the Wifi Version. Will the wifi version last longer?
  • Does the LTE version use more Data vs tethering?

engineerben

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Greenville Tx
Speed vs. tethering, hard to say. I like the idea of being on a separate LTE connection, though...

Battery life: probably a small penalty with LTE vs. WiFi, but from personal experience it's not enough to sweat.

As for data, it should be the same.

But of course, if you add it to your post-pay account you'll pay some small monthly fee just for having the iPad on the books (it's $10, I think, at AT&T). If you're on an ad-hoc data plan, you'll just pay for the data you use.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I feel as if the ones who wanted cellular data would want less on-board storage because they can stream all of their content. Apple makes the funniest cash grabs sometimes. Very frustrating especially in the case of the (STILL!) 16GB base iPhone model.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
i just tell people to get one because it will reunite you with your lost or stolen ipad more then what a wifi version is capable of doing. a locked wifi ipad cannot be located unless it can connect to a previously connected wifi network that the ipad knew about. plus the ipad can't click on "i agree" at mcdonalds when its locked.

the ipad makes a great wfi hotspot. the batteries will last longer using an ipad as your mobile hotspot, then your iPhone.

if the screen is off, there are reports that your ipad will last 24 hours as a wifi hotspot

the only other piece of advice is , give t-mobile a shot. plans start at $20 for 1 gb, you get music streaming and on a prepaid plan , if you exceed your data limit for the month, your ipad is throttled to 128kbps. if you get the free 200 mb plan you get no music streaming and your data plan is shut down for the month if you exceed the 200 mb

t-mobie has "data stash" for ipad. but you must get a post paid account and not a prepaid one
both prepaid and postpaid ipad plans give you coverage in mexico and canada, data stash does not apply to mexico and canada.

on other plans from other carriers you are looking at either your ipad data connection being shut off or being charged $10 per gigabyte overage.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
i just tell people to get one because it will reunite you with your lost or stolen ipad more then what a wifi version is capable of doing. a locked wifi ipad cannot be located unless it can connect to a previously connected wifi network that the ipad knew about. plus the ipad can't click on "i agree" at mcdonalds when its locked.

the ipad makes a great wfi hotspot. the batteries will last longer using an ipad as your mobile hotspot, then your iPhone.

if the screen is off, there are reports that your ipad will last 24 hours as a wifi hotspot

the only other piece of advice is , give t-mobile a shot. plans start at $20 for 1 gb, you get music streaming and on a prepaid plan , if you exceed your data limit for the month, your ipad is throttled to 128kbps. if you get the free 200 mb plan you get no music streaming and your data plan is shut down for the month if you exceed the 200 mb

t-mobie has "data stash" for ipad. but you must get a post paid account and not a prepaid one
both prepaid and postpaid ipad plans give you coverage in mexico and canada, data stash does not apply to mexico and canada.

on other plans from other carriers you are looking at either your ipad data connection being shut off or being charged $10 per gigabyte overage.
Would you happen to know if you can buy a device with T-Mobile's financing plans and only activate it with the 200MB free data plan, or if you have to buy more?

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
Would you happen to know if you can buy a device with T-Mobile's financing plans and only activate it with the 200MB free data plan, or if you have to buy more?

no, i don't think that is an option, i think your best bet would be to finance it from apple??? and then ask t-mobile for the free plan?

theres a $10 discount on the ipad plan if you already have a line

i think your would have to get the $20 plan ( minimum ) plus ipad payment

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
yes, with now 20gb storage iCloud at 1$ is obvious people could buy easy the 32 gb version...but i want to use 3G or 4G and i have to buy the 128version
But still with 128 storage and A9x i guess i can keep this one for 2 years

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I always buy the iPad with WIFI and CELL (LTE) but never had to use the LTE at home or any other place WIFI is all over

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.