Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Interesting video, a bit long but what was jaw dropping surprising is how Dell performed with the secret shopper. I mean pushing services/packages when the secret shopper said no multiple times. Then they added on the extended warranty and antivirus even though she said no. Not cool Dell. HP conversely did an awesome job

Reactions: 0128672

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Interesting video, a bit long but what was jaw dropping surprising is how Dell performed with the secret shopper. I mean pushing services/packages when the secret shopper said no multiple times. Then they added on the extended warranty and antivirus even though she said no. Not cool Dell. HP conversely did an awesome job

Dell didn't just add one warranty, they actually added two of them. One defeats the purpose of other. You can't even pick two of those warranties on their site :)

Recently I got the chance to try out XPS 15 9500. Laptop looks great, keyboard is ok, screen is probably the best screen I have ever seen on any laptop. But as soon as I hook it up to LG 5K, that laptop screamed. Fans were loud as they could get, and in 10mins of just surfing the web, laptop got very hot, and laggy as hell.

Now, there was macafee installed, and bunch of Dell apps as well. Lots of bloatware.
I never tried Dell before, I had my doubts about Dell. They all got confirmed in just 10mins or so. Now, I can format and reinstall, but that's not what a user should do out of the box.

It's just a shame... That screen is out of this world good :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Dell didn't just add one warranty, they actually added two of them. One defeats the purpose of other. You can't even pick two of those warranties on their site :)
Oh I know and that makes it even worse, because we as consumers cannot pick it, but the dell rep loaded up that account.

Now, there was macafee installed, and bunch of Dell apps as well. Lots of bloatware.
There's two parts to the MacAfee. Yes, having it pre-installed, but the dell rep also put on the quote a 12 month subscription which is even worse.

Reactions: satcomer

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I saw that episode, it was truly cringeworthy. This is one of the reasons I like building my own computer, in that I know exactly what is inside and exactly what it costs me.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Dell's consumer side = absolute garbage, from top to bottom

Dell's enterprise side = pretty good in my experience

Though I just got an Alienware R10 and I really like it. Definitely didn't buy it by phone though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.