Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Lubuntu and Ubuntu mate 16.04-LTS *should* both work the same and be on the same feature level but I have personally not played with Lubuntu in a long time so I cant confirm this, hence why I recommend ubuntu mate

Ubuntu Mate theme-able yeah granted im not one to theme stuff so I have not played with that aspect of it

from what I have seen (and tested) unity does not work on PPC, last time i tried, logging in just kicks you back out to the login screen, but its been a long time since i last tried. keep in mind unity is quite a heavy environment even for lower end x86 systems so it would be quite slow on anything bar a G5 quad LOL

Thank you for your help.

Downloading Mate.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
You can add the lubuntu themed LXDE to an installation of MATE

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

Log out, change the Window Manager selection at the GDM login screen to Lubuntu and you're in.

All of my recent Linux/PPC experience has been with Ubuntu MATE 16.04, some 16.10, Debian 8 Jessie and Fedora Server 25.

Debian Jessie would be my preferred choice for a G4 as it is much lighter, but on the G5 MATE is smooth and feature packed.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
So team, GParted on MATE, "we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change probably because they are in use.", can't partition anything. I thought 16.04 had this stuff fixed, haven't seen it since 12.04.

What do you all say to that?

Will try to partition it in Lubuntu Live, then install MATE. Not like I have other options.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Installation goes well enough...

And then it THROWS ME A "unable to mount root fs on unknown block" BEFORE SPLASH SCREEN. SAME THING AS LUBUNTU.

(Pretend this is in caps because all caps are against the rules) If this is how Mate behaves, then Lubuntu was the better experience! It was faster! It looked better! Meanwhile, every damn distro of 16.04 ends up broken!

Honest to god, this almost makes me want to migrate to early Intel! At least Intel Linux doesn't have anywhere near as many problems as G5 Linux does! And they're cheap enough! Not only that, if you don't get the broken iMacs or MacBook Pros, they might serve you well too!

But before I actually start considering that route, I'll at least try everything with a PowerBook G4, see how that goes. Doing that, however, will at least be a month away from now.

...Good god...

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Before you give up, did you try the physical swap in the drive bay? @LightBulbFun mentioned using Slot A. I just checked my 11,2 and can confirm that I have Ubuntu Mate 16.04 installed on a 1TB HDD which is definitely in Slot A (upper).

Check this and then reboot holding the option key, select the Penguin from the drive list and it *should* arrive at the Ubuntu Mate GDM login screen. (also try holding your tongue to the left while crossing your fingers and toes).

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Before you give up, did you try the physical swap in the drive bay? @LightBulbFun mentioned using Slot A. I just checked my 11,2 and can confirm that I have Ubuntu Mate 16.04 installed on a 1TB HDD which is definitely in Slot A (upper).

Check this and then reboot holding the option key, select the Penguin from the drive list and it *should* arrive at the Ubuntu Mate GDM login screen. (also try holding your tongue to the left while crossing your fingers and toes).

The Linux drive was in Slot A the entire time. From the beginning. Ubuntu installed onto sda.

Are you saying to put Drive B in Slot A and vv?

I don't particularly see how that would help...

How did YOU install Mate? Why does it like YOU? So far, all the distros I've tried hate me...

:(

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
The Linux drive was in Slot A the entire time. From the beginning.

Are you saying to put Drive B in Slot A and vv?

I don't particularly see how that would help...

OK, well I would try it as a last ditch effort. Switch and see... It should only take a minute, no screws required. Reason being that as I experienced, the yaboot installation had switched SATA busses during config. And come to think of it, it was only on a G5 which had two HDDs installed, the others only had one drive and didn't have the issue.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
OK, well I would try it as a last ditch effort. Switch and see... It should only take a minute, no screws required. Reason being that as I experienced, the yaboot installation had switched SATA busses during config. And come to think of it, it was only on a G5 which had two HDDs installed, the others only had one drive and didn't have the issue.

Installed with one drive in Slot B, then switched and attempted boot from Slot A with the single drive. I'm haunted by that same damn error. It won't go away.

You're going to need to be a little more specific on what you want me to do, please.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Take a different hard drive then the one your trying to install linux to, (to rule out a hard drive that does not play nice quite common with G5s)

put that different drive in drive slot A (the top slot) and install ubuntu mate to it

everything should work then.

Reactions: 0248294

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Take a different hard drive then the one your trying to install linux to, (to rule out a hard drive that does not play nice quite common with G5s)

put that different drive in drive slot A (the top slot) and install ubuntu mate to it

everything should work then.

Unable to mount root fs on unknown block.

What am I doing wrong...
[doublepost=1505769701][/doublepost]I'm ready to abandon full-time PowerPC. Linux is a horrible nightmare. Leopard is getting old and an increasing number of work websites and applications do not support it. And, let's not forget the elephant in the room, it is SLOW. Save for a G5.

I surrender.

...I'm thinking Mac Pro '06 later this year...

Last edited:

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
If there was only 1 HDD installed and it was in slot A, then there's no reason why the installer should have failed and you won't need to swap things around.

The error you had from gparted may indicate a HDD Fault. As @LightBulbFun says, try a different HDD to rule this out.

Also you mentioned in the OP that your bootstrap partition was only 2MB. If you are manually configuring this, set it to 64MB instead.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
If there was only 1 HDD installed and it was in slot A, then there's no reason why the installer should have failed and you won't need to swap things around.

The error you had from gparted may indicate a HDD Fault. As @LightBulbFun says, try a different HDD to rule this out.

Also you mentioned in the OP that your bootstrap partition was only 2MB. If you are manually configuring this, set it to 64MB instead.

Unable to mount blah blah blah.

You're supposed to give the swap partition the same amount of physical RAM you have, right?

Either way, I'm going to try this again doing the automatic install option with the said different drive in Slot A. If that won't work, nothing will.

Giving it one last shot...

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
wait you have been doing manual partitioning this entire time?!

augh, I figured you would had done the sensible thing and let it partition automatically after manual partitioning failed (im not even sure why you did it like that in the first place)... is there any reason you have been doing it manually? i really dont see why in your case, its very fiddly to manually partition and then install ppc linux to a drive (trust me iv done so its not fun at all) and unless you have a rather specific case its better to let the installer do everything automatically

Reactions: AphoticD

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Unable to mount blah blah blah.

You're supposed to give the swap partition the same amount of physical RAM you have, right?

Either way, I'm going to try this again doing the automatic install option with the said different drive in Slot A. If that won't work, nothing will.

Giving it one last shot...

Yes, the swap should be about the same size as the physical RAM. Leave slot B empty and try the automatic partitioning option.

You've been faced with a challenge!

Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
wait you have been doing manual partitioning this entire time?!

augh, I figured you would had done the sensible thing and let it partition automatically after manual partitioning failed (im not even sure why you did it like that in the first place)... is there any reason you have been doing it manually? i really dont see why in your case, its very fiddly to manually partition and then install ppc linux to a drive (trust me iv done so its not fun at all) and unless you have a rather specific case its better to let the installer do everything automatically

Well for one, it won't even let you automatically install it because it requires an HFS partition formatted with a NewWorld boot format, so in my case, you have to partition it anyway.

Whatever. I have been faced with a challenge. I must act!

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Going back to the beginning now... The first line on your screenshot of the OP indicates it wasn't able to read/write 32MB(?) of data. This could be due to the bootstrap HFS partition being too small?

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Going back to the beginning now... The first line on your screenshot of the OP indicates it wasn't able to read/write 32MB(?) of data. This could be due to the bootstrap HFS partition being too small?

Huh.

From what I saw in GParted, I thought Yaboot only took a couple hundred kilobytes of space. So, I thought it was OK to make it small.

Guess I was wrong.
[doublepost=1505788249][/doublepost]OK, so, with the aforementioned different drive in Slot A, Slot B empty, and installed with the automatic option, it throws me the same godforsaken error that this entire thread has been centered around!

The only other free SATA drive I have is 2.5" and has data on it that I want to go through!

Even GParted in MATE didn't give me any crap when partitioning stuff!

What is the meaning of this?!

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Well for one, it won't even let you automatically install it because it requires an HFS partition formatted with a NewWorld boot format, so in my case, you have to partition it anyway.

Whatever. I have been faced with a challenge. I must act!

you have completely gone off the rails, it sounds like you clicked on the "something else" option at the drive setup prompt when you went to install ubuntu... aka the manual partitioner where you should not be right now...

I can slot in any drive i like formatted in whatever format and most of the the time the ubuntu setup will give me the option to "wipe the drive and install ubuntu" where it will format the hard drive and partition it automatically without any user intervention

your really making this harder then it should be LOL

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
you have completely gone off the rails, it sounds like you clicked on the "something else" option at the drive setup prompt when you went to install ubuntu... aka the manual partitioner where you should not be right now...

I can slot in any drive i like formatted in whatever format and most of the the time the ubuntu setup will give me the option to "wipe the drive and install ubuntu" where it will format the hard drive and partition it automatically without any user intervention

your really making this harder then it should be LOL

Aside from the "something else" which I've stopped doing, trust me, I'm not.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Huh.

From what I saw in GParted, I thought Yaboot only took a couple hundred kilobytes of space. So, I thought it was OK to make it small.

Guess I was wrong.

No, you're right. It doesn't need to be any bigger. I confused myself (MorphOS required a 64MB boot HFS partition).

Here's a screenshot of my partitioning on the DC G5 (11,2). Slot A is a 1TB WD Green HDD with triple boot (Ubuntu Mate 16.04, Tiger and Leopard), Slot B has a 256GB Kingspec mSATA (in a 2.5" caddy) with just Tiger and Leopard.

Picture 2.png

When I setup this Mac, I performed 6(?) different PowerPC installations (3x G5s, 3x PBG4s) around the same time and they all had slightly different partitioning configs.

I can't be sure exactly, but looking back at my notes for this G5, it looks like I used Leopard's Disk Utility to initially setup the partitioning and installed Leopard first, then divided things up during the Mate installation. I believe I divided up the partitions again and added a 10GB volume for Tiger last.

You've got yourself a real head-scratcher of an issue here. You may need to seek advice with the Ubuntu/Mate/PPC gurus. Either on their forums or on IRC?
[doublepost=1505790081][/doublepost]Here's my yaboot.conf file:

Code:
## yaboot.conf generated by the Ubuntu installer
##
## run: "man yaboot.conf" for details. Do not make changes until you have!!
## see also: /usr/share/doc/yaboot/examples for example configurations.
##
## For a dual-boot menu, add one or more of:
## bsd=/dev/hdaX, macos=/dev/hdaY, macosx=/dev/hdaZ

boot="/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD10EVCS-63E0B0_WD-WCAU42364270-part2"
device=/ht@0,f2000000/pci@9/k2-sata-root@c/@ffffffffffffffff/@0
partition=4
root="UUID=f2bfa4a2-b5d7-4350-bce6-682db32f1e33"
timeout=100
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
enablecdboot
macosx="/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD10EVCS-63E0B0_WD-WCAU42364270-part3"
macos="/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD10EVCS-63E0B0_WD-WCAU42364270-part6"

image=/boot/vmlinux
   label=Linux
   read-only
   initrd=/boot/initrd.img
   append="quiet splash nouveau.config=NvMSI=0"

image=/boot/vmlinux.old
   label=old
   read-only
   initrd=/boot/initrd.img.old
   append="quiet splash"

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
No, you're right. It doesn't need to be any bigger. I confused myself (MorphOS required a 64MB boot HFS partition).

Here's a screenshot of my partitioning on the DC G5 (11,2). Slot A is a 1TB WD Green HDD with triple boot (Ubuntu Mate 16.04, Tiger and Leopard), Slot B has a 256GB Kingspec mSATA (in a 2.5" caddy) with just Tiger and Leopard.

View attachment 718866
When I setup this Mac, I performed 6(?) different PowerPC installations (3x G5s, 3x PBG4s) around the same time and they all had slightly different partitioning configs.

I can't be sure exactly, but looking back at my notes for this G5, it looks like I used Leopard's Disk Utility to initially setup the partitioning and installed Leopard first, then divided things up during the Mate installation. I believe I divided up the partitions again and added a 10GB volume for Tiger last.

You've got yourself a real head-scratcher of an issue here. You may need to seek advice with the Ubuntu/Mate/PPC gurus. Either on their forums or on IRC?
[doublepost=1505790081][/doublepost]Here's my yaboot.conf file:

Code:
## yaboot.conf generated by the Ubuntu installer
##
## run: "man yaboot.conf" for details. Do not make changes until you have!!
## see also: /usr/share/doc/yaboot/examples for example configurations.
##
## For a dual-boot menu, add one or more of:
## bsd=/dev/hdaX, macos=/dev/hdaY, macosx=/dev/hdaZ

boot="/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD10EVCS-63E0B0_WD-WCAU42364270-part2"
device=/ht@0,f2000000/pci@9/k2-sata-root@c/@ffffffffffffffff/@0
partition=4
root="UUID=f2bfa4a2-b5d7-4350-bce6-682db32f1e33"
timeout=100
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
enablecdboot
macosx="/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD10EVCS-63E0B0_WD-WCAU42364270-part3"
macos="/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD10EVCS-63E0B0_WD-WCAU42364270-part6"

image=/boot/vmlinux
   label=Linux
   read-only
   initrd=/boot/initrd.img
   append="quiet splash nouveau.config=NvMSI=0"

image=/boot/vmlinux.old
   label=old
   read-only
   initrd=/boot/initrd.img.old
   append="quiet splash"

"device=/ht@0,f2000000/pci@9/k2-sata-root@c/@ffffffffffffffff/@0"

That part was about the exact same in my .conf file.

I guess Linux doesn't like my specific machine. That, or the second hard drive, which is more likely.

No, they'll just give me an ocean of command line junk. Besides, I'm not asking anyone else. I'm done.

Maybe I'll try MATE on this PowerBook here...

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Stupid question, I'm sure but is there a possibility your installation medium is b0rked in some way?

I'd say that the most likely case.
I've installed various distros umpteen times and never had an install issue - getting it all to work, that's another matter ;)
I would say though, if you're not happy with PowerPC/Leopard performance, Linux is not going to fare any better - it offers different choices but it's not faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.